Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Lightning and Stomps had to stay overnight at the kennel last weekend, and since they've been home I've noticed that Lightning has been breathing very fast (more than 60 breaths per second). He's acting completely normal, very good appetite, no coughing. I called the vet to see if I needed to bring him in right away or wait until our already scheduled appointment on Saturday (for Stomps--when it rains it pours), and they thought that since he was acting normally otherwise, he could wait until Saturday. But of course I made the terrible mistake of googling high respiration rate in dogs, and all the causes were horrifying. So, could he have just caught a coughless version of kennel cough, or some such virus, at the kennel? (He's up to date on all vaccinations, including kennel cough.) I'm really worried!--Allison

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
If it started up as soon as he got home I doubt it would be kennel cough as that has about a 3-5 day incubation period.

I know I find worrying about my animals very stressful so if it were me I'd bring him in before Saturday, for my benefit as much as the dogs.

Good luck and Keep us posted on what the vet has to say.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Allison, you said he was breathing 60 times a second. Did you, perhaps, mean 60 times a minute? Our vet said that over 50 times a minute meant Rosie was in distress which she was.

I don't mean to scare you but I would get her back to the vet as soon as possible. He could have pneumonia or even worse. My thinking is "better safe than sorry."

Let us know what you do okay and how he does.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL! Yes, I meant 60 times a MINUTE. As soon as I made the vet appt., Lightning went back to breathing normally, so I canceled the appt. But it was so weird that I'm going to keep a close eye on him. If he were acting the least bit sick I would have kept the appt., but he's acting totally normal (well, normal for a basset).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts