Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pup was eating her dinner last night and decided to take some of the food from the bowl and hide it behind the couch. Then she went back to her bowl to finish eating. I also caught her burying some of her food in the backyard one time. I think it is cute but just want to make sure that it isn't a sign of something serious. Does this mean anything?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Mattie bury's food, milkbones, or anything else she don't want right now, but might want later. And trust me Mattie knows where everything is when she bury's it. She even does this at her grandma's when she is there. I tell my mom don't touch it or cause she will be looking for it next time she is up. I think Matties just wants a snack for a different time. LOL!! Plus sometimes she digs up bones or whatever she has hid when it is wet and nasty. I guess to her it tastes better.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I had a dog when I was a kid that used to bury cookies all over the place, in the couch, you name it. Thinking back now, I realize we were giving him way too much food and I think that's the reason he was hiding stuff because he really didn't need it at the time but might want it later. I haven't had a dog that did that since so who knows if I am right about why he was doing it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm...that might be the cause. I am transitioning foods right now. The previous brand has a higher suggested amount than the food I am transitioning to. I am mixing them together almost 50/50 but still giving the amount she always had in the past. I bet the bones do taste better all dirty!:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Our Isabelle (ATB) used to do this too. It was cute to watch her trying to nose a blanket over her stash. However, the other dogs usually found and ate most of her hidden snacks.

With her we assumed she was hoarding because for a while before she lived with us, she was in a neglectful situation, and may have been without regular meals. So we figured she wanted to put some aside in case of lean times.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts