Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I recently stubbled upon this chat because I was researching on how normal it is for a puppy to get hiccups, my basset is 7 weeks and gets hiccups about 4-5 times a day. I’ve asked people around me who have puppies (different breeds) if they have the same issue and they seem to not have the same issue as me, I’m kinda worried because I think it happens way to often, has anyone else had this problem with their puppy?

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Hello I recently stubbled upon this chat because I was researching on how normal it is for a puppy to get hiccups, my basset is 7 weeks and gets hiccups about 4-5 times a day. I’ve asked people around me who have puppies (different breeds) if they have the same issue and they seem to not have the same issue as me, I’m kinda worried because I think it happens way to often, has anyone else had this problem with their puppy?
My puppies have had hiccups but I don't remember how often. They grew out of it.

·
Registered
13,077 Posts
The condition is much more common in puppies than adult dogs, Liff says. Most dogs experience them at least once when they’re young, she adds.

Puppies are more prone to hiccups than adult dogs because of their high energy and excitement levels, Wystrach says. They’re more likely to eat or drink too fast, and are more prone to rapid bursts of energy, which may impact their breathing.

gets a lot of calls from pet owners concerned about a doggie hiccup attack. For the most part, she tells them it’s nothing to worry about.

But in very rare cases, hiccups could be a sign of a more serious underlying problem, such as respiratory defects, pneumonia, asthma, pericarditis, or heat stroke, Wystrach says. If the condition persists for more than a few hours, it’s time to call your veterinarian.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts