Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to group in spokane wa. We own two boys. A 4 year old and a 2 year old. They are the best. We had a problem last December. Our 4 year old had to have an eye removed due to glaucoma. Happened super fast. We have his remaining eye monitored every few weeks and have to give him eye drops twice a day. I’ve heard this is common with bassets. Anyone else have this issue? Other then that, they are a constant source of joy. If you only have one, get another, you won’t regret it.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
New to group in spokane wa. We own two boys. A 4 year old and a 2 year old. They are the best. We had a problem last December. Our 4 year old had to have an eye removed due to glaucoma. Happened super fast. We have his remaining eye monitored every few weeks and have to give him eye drops twice a day. I’ve heard this is common with bassets. Anyone else have this issue? Other then that, they are a constant source of joy. If you only have one, get another, you won’t regret it.
Sorry for that (glaucoma). I hope it's not 'common' within the Breed although I am aware of one line, favoured across the world, that seems to have this lurking. I've answered the other 'glaucoma' thread.

·
Registered
12,833 Posts
not common but a known genetic defect that occurs in the breed. If you have not done so you should inform the breeder. It is believe to be recessive so both sire and dam need to be carriers.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Our one rescue Barbara is blind from glaucoma
Her PO missed the signs than didn't want her. She is a sweet loving girl.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,034 Posts
One of the universities used to maintain a colony of Basset Hounds to study glaucoma.

·
Registered
12,833 Posts
university of Iowa , however they were from all the same lineage and that eventual was concluded not going to produce results that would hold for all bassets. and it is now believed there is likely multiple gene involvement,
http://myweb.uiowa.edu/kuehnm/BH.htm

"To determine which gene is mutated in Bassets with this disease Iowa State University maintains a breeding colony of Basset Hounds. The colony is based upon two affected founder animals that developed primary glaucoma around three years of age in the absence of PLD.
In this colony glaucoma is transmitted as a simple recessive trait. Breeding of two affected dogs always results in affected offspring, yet the founders were derived from healthy individuals and matings to unaffected dogs have thus far not produced affected offspring.
However, analysis of other pedigrees has given indications that the inheritance pattern may be more complicated. It is possible that multiple genes act together to create glaucoma. It is also conceivable that more than one mutation exists in the Basset Hound population that can cause glaucoma."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts