Basset Hounds Forum banner

Hi! New!

4K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  charady2 
#1 ·
Hello, Everyone! I have an almost 13 week old basset named Hank (after good o' Hank Williams. Hopefully there are some fans of that man out there on this forum..) He's an extrememly playful and frisky pup! He has been determined to have glaucoma already, but that doesn't seem to affect him too much. He still gallops and trots and makes a mess just like any other pup.
I've been reading around this forum for a few days thus far and I seem to feel pretty darned comfortable here already. Nice to meet all y'all out there!

I put up a picture from when he was 7 weeks old and have recent pictures uploaded as well

Attachments

See less See more
Discussion starter · #13 ·
I'm glad to hear that there are so many *southern/country* loving people on here, especially a lot of them and many other people who know so much about this wonderful breed! I'm pretty relieved to find a comforting place for Hank and me. :rolleyes:

Hank is likin' these compliments, I tell ya' what!
Thank y'all for being so friendly!

So what does Glaucoma in a puppy that young mean? Is he going to still see ok? I have no clue about it (although my boss has had glaucoma since he was a toddler, that is my only experience with it.)
Hmm, well at this point we're sure he will have a very rough time recovering his vision, as he is already partially losing his vision and can only see close-ranged things. I'm sure his sight will go in the near future.. maybe a year.. But at this point I have no clue for sure.

He have treatment surgery, eye drops etc. Or has he been diagnosed with open eye angle closed eye angle or PLD via cerf and gonioscopy. Which by the way are pretty usless in determining risck factor for glaucoma in puppies

See Chances of Glaucoma thread and
Glaucoma in the Basset Hound
He's on drops and glycerin, as well as anti-infection medicines and other anti-inflammatory medications. Along with VetProfen (Carprofen) for pain...
The first vet we went to thought it was an infection, so he treated it as one. The next vet thought it was also an infection(Virus), but a rare type that doesn't normally respond to the usual infection medicine and that the virus was eating away at something in particular, his eyes, and that his immune system was affecting his vision and worsening the situation, too. FINALLY, we were referred to an ophthalmologist who is currently treating him for glaucoma.
He did a gonioscopy, but he couldn't totally see into Hank's eyes at the time due to the cloudiness of them.

Lots of medical-Doctor words that are hard to understand- ..
I had to google most of what the doctor had written down because it's all still a big, goopy mess of strange language to me.. The most current medical babble he told me, was that there's optic disc cupping in his right eye and that there's lens luxation in his left- the lens has fallen..... No more vision for the left eye, as far as I understand.. But he still isn't sure till ALL the cloudiness goes away.

3 or 4 more weeks and we're back to our Doc for another check-up..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.