Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there we are now the proud owners of a Basset Hound called Chester hes nearly 4 months old, I'm well use to having dogs but this guy is a whole new ball game ! the big problem at the moment is after I feed him he gets a new spourt of life and gives our little westie white a run for his money if the westie won't play Chester barks non stop in his ear I'm wondering is it the food ? I'm feeding him 3 times a day on Pedigree puppy food with a small hand full of dried predigree nuts put through it, I know they need small amounts of food at each feed but he seems such a big puppy I'm worried I'm not feeding him enough or then again many its to much !
babys are alot easier LOL

·
Registered
78 Posts
Gorgeous puppy :rolleyes:

You could try finding an additive free food.Which country are you based in.

Pedigree is not one of the better foods as it has a lot of colourings etc.We feed Rupert on a totally gluten and additive free diet and it really helped him to stop being so hyper.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Hi and welcome! Chester is adorable! He looks so much like my boy Lightning when he was a puppy. His weight looks good in the photo, so I think you're doing well in that regard. As for Chester's post-meal games, that sounds like normal basset puppy behavior. Enjoy!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Not sure of the availability in Ireland but Burns, Jameswellbeloved, CSJ, Autarky are good dried foods.Nature diet and Naturesmenu are good wet foods as is Butchers tripe tinned.
Steer clear of things like Bakers and Pedigree as they are full of colourings and sugar.try googling some of the brands mentioned to find them locally or for delivery.

If you do change his food make sure you do it gradually sp as not to upset his tummy :rolleyes:

It might not be the food making him so hyper but it's worth a try.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Our bassets have always loved a good post dinner romp, no matter what we feed them. He's darling!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks all for your help. just one more thing, their ears ! I'v decided taking him to the beach might be a bad thing at the moment because of mites so I'm walking him everyday for about 30 to 45 mins along the country rd and hes realy enjoying it, how should I care for his ears I give him a good drying off when we get back but wondering should I be washing or cleaning them,
sorry for all the questions but not many basset hound owners around here and I'm waiting on the local pet shop to get us a book

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Chester is so cute! I love the way he uses his bed. :D[/b]
its not his bed its Jeffs bed but hes taking it over he seems to like it more then his own so guess I'm off to the pet store for another one :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2 Posts
RIGHT HERE GOES MY FIRST POST SINCE JIONING :rolleyes: ILIKE THE LOOK OF YOUR PUP BUT I WOULD BE CAREFULL OF THE LONG WALKS I,E 35 MINS DOSNOT SEEM LONG BUT CAN DAMAGE THE PUPPYS LEGS AND CAUSE THEM TO BE KNOCKED KNEE AS THE BASSET IS VERY SLOW AT MATUREING AND HS AVERY HEAVY BODY FOR SHORT LEGS I WOULD ONLY WALK IT ABOUT 10,/15 MINS AT THE MOST IF IN DOUBT I WOULD RECOMEND GETTING A GOOD BOOK AND READING IT AND BY THE CONGRAT,S AS YOUR LIFE WILL NEVER BE THE SAME AGAIN AND SOON YOU TO WILL BECOME A SLAVE :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Tom, I just found some info and your right seems he should only be walked on the lead for about 5mins after 8months he can walk for 15 mins and after 12 months he can have a good old walk, I'm not sure he'll be happy with 5mins but its for his own good he'll have to like it

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
I know they need small amounts of food at each feed but he seems such a big puppy I'm worried I'm not feeding him enough or then again many its to much ![/b]
See the following links on assessing a dogs weight. With a puppy it is good to do every week and make adjustments as need. FWIW I have not owned a dog that would not have been over weight if fed the amount list on the bag of dog food.

Corpulent canine
The best way to determine whether a dog is overweight is to test 3 different parts of the body: the neck, the ribs, and the hips.

To check the neck, press your thumb and index finger deep into the side of the neck just ahead of the shoulder, and pinch them together. If your fingers are more than 1/2" apart, the dog is overweight. (Note: this is where old dogs tend to carry most of their excess fat, and they may actually be thin in other locations.)

To check the ribs, stand with your dog beside you, facing his butt. Place your thumb on the middle of his spine half way down the back and spread your fingers out over his last few ribs. Then run your fingers up and down along his skin. You should be able to feel the bumps of his ribs without pressing in.

To check the hips, run your hand over your dog's croup. You should be able to feel the bumps of his two pelvic bones without pressing down.

Some of you may be reading this and thinking, "I would never want my dog to be that skinny!" Think about the Olympic athletes. If you want your dog to be an athlete then it is only fair that you do what you can to help him achieve the body that he will need to perform and stay healthy and injury free for many years.[/b]
Purnia Body Condition Chart Kep in mind between 4-5 is now recomended as ideal

Other purina studies have show even with the body chart owners are poor at acessing their owns dog weight. With that in mind and givent the realitive heath risks it is much better for a dog to be a bit under weight than a bit overweight,

L

·
0 Posts
Welcome to U and Chester. What a cute puppy. Maybe ask your vet what food would be (good) for him. Puppies have a Lot of energy. Maybe Chester is just acting like a puppy. <G>.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Luke is the same way, after he eats he thinks he must burn over every once of it. Though he is not as bad as he was when he was 4 months old, hopefully Chester will calm down also.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Bassets have amazing amounts of energy and you will discover that a tired basset is a good basset!

I think it's vry normal for puppies to have amazing spurts of energy and then collapse into a pile of fur for a while and then start all over again.

I totally agree with Mikey T. A slightly underweight dog is preferable to an overweight dog and bassets are master manipulators at getting people to feed them!

Have lots and lots of fun with that sweet guy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts