Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys its me -- notice the avatar --see I'm real not a figment of your imagination. Mom had to BEG sister to post pictures of me. She thinks we are weird but we know that we're not (she is) -- we are just the best of the best BASSETS RULE!! She also broke down and put a few pics in an album and Mom thinks that she can do it too! Yea! So there WWormie I told ya it would happen sooner or later....or later.
Love Pais:rolleyes:

·
Registered
761 Posts
What a beautiful girl you are Paisley! I like your coloring very much.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Paisley!!! you are purteeee....! i am SO glad u put ur pics up finally.

are you tricolor? your ears look reddish black in the pics, are they that color in real life? i never seen a basset that's mostly black and white. and so.... that makes you exotic-looking! i likes! **whistle whistle**
--admiringly yours, Worm

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the compliments guys. Mom says don't let it go to my head. Wormmie you make me blush!!! I am not a tri but then maybe I am. I am mostly black and white but in the sunshine my ears are kinda reddish and sometimes my wiggle butt looks that way too! My Daddy was a BIG lemon dude and Mom was a tri but mostly brown. I guess my colouring got mixed up in the gene pool since most of my brothers and sisters ended up being tri (although I did see a brother from a previous little that looks like me). I can be on the plump side -- Mom blames it on the genetics thing but my vet blames it on the cookies so guess what -- I haven't had a cookie in at least 6 months, well don't tell Dad but the groomer gave me one last time I went.... and they wonder why I ilke going there???
Yours Pais

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gee Esther I don't know. Maybe Mikey or Soundtrack or Bubbad or some one can tell me. There are not too many bassets around here and the few that we see are all tri. Maybe I'm just a throwback to the mix of lemon and brown. I think black is a dominent genetic colour.

·
Registered
13,077 Posts
My Daddy was a BIG lemon dude and Mom was a tri but mostly brown.
Tri is dominate over bi colors ie red and white, lemon is a red with dilution gene which is recessive. so a mixure of a lemon and a tri could produce tris, red and whites or lemons. depending on whether the the tri was **** or hetero genious, If homeogenious ie to tri genes than only tri's would be produced. also for lemon to occur the tri would need to be a carrier of the ressesive dilution gene.

Keep in mind when it comes to marking and paterns the are external non genetic factors involved.. That is two identical twin bassets can have complete different pattern of marings. because the coloration /pigment cells migrate from the nueral grest thing like temperature effect that migration which effect the patterning on the dog.

open = a lot of white can refer to tri or bi colored dogs a dog almost all white can be referred to as piebald. both genetics and environment can play a role here.

Saddle a small black patch in the middle of the back of a tri. Usually aplly to tris that are mostly brow/red as a small black patch in the middle of a mostly white dog is generally referred to as an open tri not as having a saddle.

Blanket black that clearly comes down the side of the dog and cover most of the dog

mariah Clearly an open tri

Zephyr clearly a blanket tri

fischer with a saddle and as most dog with a saddle the intensitity of the saddle size etc varys considerable via season darker and larger summer lighter and smaller in winter and age.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Mikey: are you sure your don't have a genetics degree like my sister Ashley???
You two could talk for ages ..... but what am I a blanket black? --- can't ask sister coz then she will go on and on and on .... Yep thats her .... her other degree is in Theater so in our house we have a dramatic nerd (not saying your a nerd Mikey but sometimes she is).....but we have to keep her --- Mom says so!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh Mikey forgot to say .... maybe you are right ... we live way up in Sudbury ... about 5 hrs north of Toronto and it is cold for 6 months .... maybe thats it ... black reflects light..... Our cat is a Lilac Siamese -- cream with a pinkish, purpleish, taupe nose and tail and feet...... sister says its the spots that get cool and he does get darker in the cold winter months and lighter in the hot months..... that being said I should have a BLACK BELLY instead of my nice pink one since it drags in the snow half the year. Maybe I just have a frost bitten belly.

·
Registered
13,077 Posts
..... but what am I a blanket black?
you are anything you want to be!

that is I posted general guidelines that most people use but there is no clear definition where a saddle ends and a blanket begins if it were me. give tha paisly has no decernable brown patchs I would refer to her and a black and white. again the term saddle and blanket are generally reserved for tri' but that is not true for everyone. that uses these terms. If you go to the basset genetic coat link below you will see blanket referred to as having white. But as noted all basset have the genetic for Irish spoting which white on the chest feet and tail, ( note even though they have the gentic for irish spoting there are incidend and not that infrequient that white spotting does not occur in one or more of these areas) thak would make all basset blankets as well. IMho the are looking at from the wrong perspective as blanket refers not to the white marking but the colored marking that is the color look like a blanket over the back of a white dog. but like i said there much wiggle room around the edges. Also keep in mind from a genetic stand point I do not believe a true black and white basset exist they are tris with very little brown expressed. so from that perspective black blanket is acceptable. as well. But in the end it really is personal choice.

For example a darker than normal red seen on some basset is often refered to a mahogany. mahogany is general a mixture of black and red hair in which individual batchs of color are not decernable and give a solid single color apearance or in some other case the red and black appear on a single hair shaft like aquoti markings but it is general referred to as being a single color when in fact it is two.

keep in mind genetics play only a role in actual marking enviroment play one as well

you sure your don't have a genetics degree like my sister Ashley???
Quite sure my degree is in Printing back in the olden days when many a prepress person aspired to be a "stripper" :eek:

not saying your a nerd Mikey
been accurately called a lot worse,.

there are actual web sites devoted to hair color genetics if interested

Basset Hound Coat Color DNA Study

you may find interesting along with the full site that cover all dogs
Genetics of Coat Color and Type in Dogs

and if you are interested in why domesticaed animals have more white than their wild counter parts it is all about the genetics of coat color and the roll pigment has in personality.
Mutations in Melanocyte Distribution

:
Pigment cells also migrate to the brain, to areas such as the substantia ***** (part of the midbrain that regulates mood, produces dopamine, and controls voluntary movement), the locus ceruleus (part of the brain that deals with the stress response) as well as other areas such as the leptomeninges (membranes surrounding the brain), the dorsal root ganglia, and the cranial ganglia. The failure of pigment cells to reach these areas can have a wide variety of effects, such as a movement disorder (e.g. seizures), and diverse effects on behavior and the individual's response to stress.

Pigment cells are therefore implicated in areas of the brain related to mood and the stress response. This connection between depigmentation and behavior probably played a role in animal domestication. By selecting for tameness, breeders selected for a different pigment cell migration in the developing nervous system, leading to calmer animals. A side effect of this selection for behavior was the change in pigment cell migration in the skin, leading to a piebald coat. Piebaldness and associated docility are found in many different domesticated species (horses, cows, dogs, cats, birds). In fact, selection of wild animals for tame behavior leads to depigmented areas on the fur, as shown in foxes (Belyaev 1979, Trut 1999) and rats (Trut et al. 1997). Note, however, that if depigmentation is extreme, the animal may have neurological impairments (Grandin 1998)
so was that nerdy enough for you and More information than you cared to know

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Mikey T : so if I can be anything I want to be I guess I'll choose to be a unique Black and White with a slight touch of brown PRINCESS!!!! Say Mikey T you seem to be a pretty good guy for an old "Stripper" you sure know your basset stuff.
From now on I will refer to you as Dr. Mikey of Basset Genetics aka Dr. Basset or Dr. Mikey T Basset.

·
Registered
13,077 Posts
Mikey T you seem to be a pretty good guy for an old "Stripper"
Never was a "stripper" back 30 years ago when I was in the printing Industry it was exclusively on the management side

FWIW stripper is a very old term that first came into being when photographic plates wher first backed on glass instead of cellulose or plasitc as films now adays. They litteral had to "stip" the photo graphic geletin media of the glass backer to make printing plates. of course eith the advent of plastic films instead of glass as a backer stripping was geletin was no longer require but the mane stuck. But now with electornic imaging stripping as a profession is all but been eliminated.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks doggy 007: are you really James Bond under an alias??? Do you have a picture of your basset buddy? (as if I should talk it took my Mom MONTHS to post a picture of me)? Is he/she young (I'm 3). If not and older will my face turn white like all the beautiful elders that we see here. Just wondering -- a girl dosen't want to go white before her time you know ,and as far as I know they don't make Miss Clairol for bassets yet... I have seen some weird pink poodles though.
Pais

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
yes, us bassets don't seem to age very well. i'm getting vain myself. i like the blaze on my face the way it is. i already have this horrible yellow stripe going down the middle of my back. ageing is tough. so are the teenage years.
--oh well, Worm

1 - 20 of 21 Posts