Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a champion AKC female, who is 3 1/2 years old. For the last two years we have done all genetic testing ,health testing,done local dog shows with her etc. We have also looked for a suitable stud to better the breed,and tempermant (her original breeder helped in the search). In December I flew her to the stud and they mated mutiple times per the stud owner(they did it naturally and with some human intervention but NO A.I this time around, as this is her first attempt at breeding and if this one doesn't take we will be looking into A.I for a later attempt).I have a mentor helping me(original breeder) and have done my research (and have homes lined up for up to 20 puppies, just haven't done the home visits as of now)but no one can answer my question.My vet has done an ultrasound, and has said my dog is not pregnant that she is having a pseudo pregnancy. Now with the breed false pregnancy is common, BUT she has NEVER in all of her other heat cycles had a pseudo-pregnancy. She has gained weight her mammarys are enlarged and are producing a colustrum type fluid.My breeder said she may be pregnant with a small litter. How accurate is the ultrasound, I know is pretty accurate, but I also know it could be done wrong,or puppies can hide behind organs in a small litter,has anyone ever run into this problem? what if she is pregnant with a small litter size(I am treating her still as she is pregnant to be on the cautious side)? Why would she go into a pseuopregnancy just NOW, after the first time we attemped breeding her, my original breeder has had only one female that has gone through false pregnancy but it started during her very first heat cycle....any help will be appreciated!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would suggest doing an exray at no earlier then 51 days and that will tell you do not feed before the exray I have been successful with untra sounds but i prefer the pregnancy exray better I always do AI's

·
Registered
2 Posts
Introducing myself

This looks like a nice way to talk with others with the same passion.
I'm new here but I hipe I can find great advice from others and yet help others with their labor of love in this feild of bassets. Showing in conformation is the treat of breeding top quality bassets that show good temperment, structure, health and attitiude both at home or in the ring, I welcome all who want to chat

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
XRay was being planned for sometime next week just to be sure, but I opted to change veterinarians also, for someone who specializes more in the breeding field as well as reproduction.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts