Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,
My name (if you hadn't guessed) is Jessii. I may be 'inheriting' a basset hound very soon, and I'd like to know... well, anything you can really give me tips about.

I realize that the way I'm possibly acquiring him sounds odd, but I guess it happens, so this is how it goes;

I already have a 3 year old 'doodle' (he's some sort of designer dog that a puppy mill tried to create) he's rescued from said puppy mill, and somewhat rehabilitated from the horrors that he faced there. He's about as far as he can get without another dog constantly at home with him, he really acts like a dog when he's around others. We knew that we needed to get another dog soon for his sake, but also wanted another dog, and recently... an opportunity has arisen.

My cousin bought a basset hound from a breeder (I believe) a couple years ago, and as far as I knew, things were fine. I don't see or talk to my cousin much, so I didn't know any differently until my father told me that he was going to be watching the dog for a couple of weeks. My cousin went to Ohio for a bit, and was supposed to be taking the dog back, but still hasn't, and won't be. Apparently, when he was there, Huckleberry lived outside, attached to a dog house, and was totally spoiled at my dad's house. So, he doesn't have a proper home right now... my father would keep him, but his dogs are really anxious, and that makes 4 dogs, so he just can't entirely handle it all. So we're going to do a trial run, and bring Huck home for a couple of days when we'll be at home all day,and see how he and Coop, my doodle, accepts him.

Huck definitely needs to learn some manners, and how to properly behave inside, he is housebroken, but a little rambunctious. Anyway, I thought perhaps you all could help me to know what to expect from him and anything that I should keep in mind having to do with his particular breed. I have plenty of animal experience, but I'm a huge believer in experience over research, even though I do research a TON! So, Thanks for any help, and I'll get some pics really soon!

~Jessii

·
Registered
184 Posts
My first guess is you will possibly have potty problems since you said he was an outside dog for awhile. They are awesome dogs (ok, mine is only 3 months old, but still pretty awesome if I do say so!) If I were you, my biggest concern would be the dogs getting along, no food agression to worry about, etc. The pottying you can work on over time, but it isn't a total deal breaker for me. What are you most worried about? If you have specifics (like introducing the two dogs, for example) then people here will be able to help ya out some more I am sure :) This place is full of info, search what you are looking for too and that will help! Good luck and I hope you enjoy your new furry friend!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot, I'm not concerned really about anything specifically... for the most part. I'm really just wondering about anything I should watch for, behaviorally or health-wise. I know that until you have one, there's lots of things you'll never think of. (I never wanted a poodle, for example, but my doodle has changed my mind a lot) Huck is actually potty-trained, and if he does relapse a bit when he comes home with us, it's nothing we don't have experience with. As for them getting along, Huck is a socialite and Coop is absolutely ecstatic whenever he's with another dog, so I don't think there will be any problems, but advice is still appreciated.

One thing that my fiancee pointed out for me to ask; we have 2 cats, and 3 ferrets, I don't plan on him meeting the ferrets until we're very comfortable with him and completely confident in him being well behaved. But the cats have free roam of the house, so, do they have problems with cats often? Is there any advice any of you can give as for keeping him cool when he meets the cats?

Thanks,
Jessii

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sammie is scared of cats.. shes never hurt one. But shes scared of them. From what I have seen with sammie, you might have more of a problem with the cats accepting the basset.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sammie is scared of cats.. shes never hurt one. But shes scared of them. From what I have seen with sammie, you might have more of a problem with the cats accepting the basset.
Very sorry to hear that Sammie is afraid of them. From what I've seen with Huck, he won't be afraid of anything, he's completely fearless. My cats definitely won't give him trouble, they could really care less. But I hope you're right, and he'd rather stay away from them, that would be great. We'll see next week though. Thanks!

·
Registered
184 Posts
My mean cat (attacks us randomly even after asking for attention) plays with my pup wonderfully! My nice lap cat, on the other hand, has caught his nose a few times. He just wants to play and she is trying to tell him no but he hasn't figured it out yet.

Since your cats are used to your dog, I would assume they will be ok with the new dog. However, will the new dog be ok with cats? I don't know if it is a precaution type thing or what, but most of the bassets on petfinder say no cats (and quite a few say no young kids either lol).

On the other hand, my cat was used to dogs, we had a rottie before that she would drink out of the water dish at the same time as him. But she taught him the same as she is trying to with Flash. My mean cat always avoided the rottie even though he never attempted to go near her (he was a quick learner with our other cat). The mean one was a stray I had taken in and she just never trusted that big ol dog. So I figured she would be the one we would have a problem with and I was completely wrong.

As far as the ferrets....first of all I am VERY jealous! We used to have ferrets, they are such awesome lil creatures! I saw one for free on craigslist and first thought was my pup and decided no way, not the way he wants to chase the cats, poor ferret wouldn't have a chance! Hopefully you don't have an issue but that one would worry me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's funny how cats act differently with other animals than they do with people, sometimes you just don't know what to do with them, lol.

I'm really not concerned how my cats will act, my older, grumpy cat, will probably glare at me and wonder why I would get another dog, since he doesn't want the first one, and my younger, silly kitty, will probably try her hardest to stay out of his way, and more than likely fail, but not do anything to him.

I really have no idea whatsoever how Huck will act around the cats. I think what we're going to do is introduce Huck and Coop in the yard, and if they do alright, bring them inside and supervise very closely while he meets the cats. If all goes well, he'll stay, if not, he'll have to stay with my dad. I'm really hoping that everything goes really good though.

I agree, I love ferrets! I have 3 and am currently ferret-sitting for another, only for a week though. If Huck stays, he will not be meeting the ferrets (except through the bars) for a very long time. I would never put my ferrets in harms way, and I know the Basset Hound's purpose, so I'll have to be really confident in him and know him really well before trying to introduce them.

^_^ ~Jessii

1 - 7 of 7 Posts