Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband's boss has a friend who has bred basset hounds. Him and his wife actually. They aren't back yard breeders, they actually have a neat think in their house I guess. Well they are all registered, and they have about 20, babbies and parents.
Well, they are getting a divorce, and he told richard's boss he will take them to be put down on Monday if he can't find homes. His wife doesn't want to continue and he won't either. :( SO SAD. they are all registered and he's just GIVING them away!
Does anyone have ANY ideas on what I could do to save these puppies or help them to find good homes??

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I don't know where you are, but I would get in touch with your local basset rescue ASAP!!

It makes me so mad when adults screw up their lives and innocents have to suffer. This is no reason to put a healthy animal to sleep.

Sorry, I am NOT ranting at you - I know you are doing your best to see this doesn't happen. It's the divorcing couple that I have major problems with.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh I know. We don't even know the owners. I know there is a basset rescue somewhere in Mo. I am going to encourage them to take them there if the rescue will take them all! I can't see these put down! But, I don't have room to take them all either! UG!
Brook
Okay, I called the rescue in MO, but they are full, but there is a lady with ozark mountain rescue here in ar. that is working now to get a caravan together for them to go to new homes. sad.gif This is so sad. I have never been this close on the end of dogs almost being put to death. I am so sad right now!
But, the bright side is that there is a rescue going to work with me to get them taken care of!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Ozark Mountain Rescue of Arkansas!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
THANK YOU!!

Bassets rescues are great - they all pitch in to help out. I can imainge they're scrambling a bit with that many! I hope they all find very loving homes where they are never in danger of being killed again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Weddington Animal Hospital offered to take them al lin until they can find homes for them. HOW AMAZING IS THAT?
I am so happy!
There is a pug there she's 3 and she's pregnant, ready to give birth and she's OUTSIDE with nothing! We are taking her in. We have 2 other pugs as well.

·
Registered
360 Posts
This is all very kind of you. Just get the dogs out of that place. Once the puppies are born, start looking for a pug rescue if you can't keep them. I would think there would be rescues for all breeds. And puppies are usually easier to adopt out than older dogs.

Keep up the good work. And keep us posted. It's nice to hear success stories.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Here's the link to Ozark Mountain Basset Rescue's page, with some more info about this incident.

On July 29, 2007, OMBR took in 24 dogs from a puppy mill in Oklahoma. The story is heartwrenching, but true, and it's been "cleaned up" a bit because the real truth is nothing short of a horror story.[/b]
More here.

On Friday, July 27th, Sherry, OMBR’s President, received a call about a man running a puppy mill in Oklahoma who was disposing of 30 adult bassets and assorted puppies from 9 weeks old and up. Sherry was told that if we did not pick up these bassets by Monday morning, he would shoot the ones that were left.[/b]
Read the rest, if your blood pressure can take it.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I am in tears and in shock after reading this story. Thanks for the warning Betsy!

Those beautiful dogs so neglected and abused. How could anyone do that!!! Josie broke my heart. I am so happy she knew a little love and kindness before she made her trip to the Bridge. I know she is pain free and resting on a soft, fluffy crowd.

Bravo to all the people who worked so hard to rescue these innocents. And may the person who caused all this pain burn in hell. Even that is too good for him.

·
Registered
773 Posts
They aren't back yard breeders.....[/b]
I'd say that's an understatement -- a mill in every sense. Horrible! Thank goodness these dogs were rescued. Thank goodness they found all the newborns. I hope new loving homes are found for all of them soon, and that the 'breeders' rot slowly in hell.......

·
Registered
45 Posts
All I can say is I hope these two don't have any 2 leggers (children).
What would they do with them put them down too!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

I would love to take them or 1 but I am sure they won't fly them to me.. :(

Kat

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I wouldn't mind picking one up for you and bringing him/her over. I've always wanted to visit Australia!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I wouldn't mind picking one up for you and bringing him/her over. I've always wanted to visit Australia![/b]

You can come visit anytime i have a spare room... :lol: If you bring a puppy that would be even better...

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
There was an article in the paper this morning about a man who tried to smuggle a small monkey onto a plane by hiding it under his hat. If I got a big enough hat or a small enough basset I could probably do it!

·
Registered
45 Posts
There was an article in the paper this morning about a man who tried to smuggle a small monkey onto a plane by hiding it under his hat. If I got a big enough hat or a small enough basset I could probably do it![/b]
Or you could pose are a customs officer with a sniffer dog.. That would be cool...lol :lol:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just an update -

As many of you may know after reading the story on our website, www.ombr.org, OMBR did indeed rescue all of those poor hounds. Phil Guinn, OMBR's founder, my son Matt, and I all went to this mill and rounded them all up. The ones that survived are doing fine, enjoying soft beds, good food, a clean play yard and all the people who come in to pay attention to them. Several of them are even giving up their bellies now for a bellly rub.

For the most part, they were relatively healthy except they all had terrible teeth and a gut full of every worm known to man. They've been treated for the worms and are doing great. Dr. Herring thinks some good stuff to chew on will help their teeth, and those that don't improve on their own, will be having dentals.

What is even more surprisingly, several of them already have homes waiting for them once we have them fully healthy and altered.

Thanks so much for all the concern you've expressed. We've been blessed by help from all across the country and the dogs are all going to be just fine.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Does anyone know if charges will be brought against those *swear swear* people? I haven't seen nor heard anything about it.
Having bought a puppy mill dog when I was young and seeing my beauty have to be put down after a brief life of exactly 3 years these stories really make me.... heck angry is too tame a word. I'm seriously pissed.

Who the heck was the original poster anyways? Seems to have vanished.

Lou

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I think the original poster wants to be anonymous. Thank doG she got in touch with the right people and those hounds are safe. No charges will be brought - as sad as it is he probably did nothing illegal.

Some of the OMBR are being transported to other areas this weekend! Yeah - on their way to furever homes. 2 sadly did not make it. However, in the last days of their lives they knew that they were loved. And they were.

Let's hope all the other have long and happy lives.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts