1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya everyone,

Im new to this forum and to Bassets,
Poppy is 9 weeks old and has just come to live with myself and my family :D

Ive had diffrent breeds of dogs in the past and have worked for diffrent breed rescues (mainly Border Collies) but i now have a young family and after allot of research we (my husband and i) decided Bassets would be the perfect dog for us.

Poppy is a little star, shes settling in so well and my kids are over the moon with her ..

Poppy is only ever going to be a family pet and will be spayed as soon as shes old enough (especially with her having that blue eye .. we were aware it was a fault but my children fell in love with her because of it :rolleyes: )

Were just waiting now until she can have her 2nd vaccinations so we can get her out and about on walks.

Hope you all like the piccies, thanks for reading xxxxxx

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Were just waiting now until she can have her 2nd vaccinations so we can get her out and about on walks.[/b]

There is naothing magical in increasing immunty betwen the first round of shots and the second. Keeping her cloister runs the risk of increased behavioral problems because of reduced socialization. Given the nature of faltering natural immunity from colestreum and immunity via vaccination there is no tell exactly when or when not a dog a pup is truely protected so their are no guarantees but a few procations go a long way in balancing the need for socialization and the possibility of a less than peak immune system

EARLY SOCIALIZATION VS. VACCINATIONS
While we are not veterinarians and can not guarantee that there is no risk whatsoever, we keep up on the latest recommendations by the experts who suggest that the risk of behavior problems outweighs the minimal risk of disease.[/b]
The above article has a number of links to articles by vets on the subject. including the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior
While puppies’ immune systems are still developing during these early months, the combination of maternal immunity, primary vaccination, and appropriate care makes the risk of infection relatively small compared to the chance of death from a behavior problem.

...In general, puppies can start puppy socialization classes as early as 7-8 weeks of age. Puppies should receive a minimum of one set of vaccines at least 7 days prior to the first class and a first deworming. They should be kept up-to-date on vaccines throughout the class.[/b]

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Welcome, Poppy is a doll!

~Heather

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the lovely comments everyone xxx

Mikey T, some very interesting reading there, very interesting .. off to read more about it thanks you xx

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! Poppy is beautiful and eye catching with her blue eye. I love her coloring, and I'm sure she will be a wonderful addition to your family. :)

·
Registered
932 Posts
That picture with the flowers is stupendous! Welcome Poppy!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts