Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have 2 Bassets, Spike and Molly.

Spike is 6 months old, and I noticed last night trimming his nails, that he has one nail on each front paw (the same nail on both), that is like disintegrating....It is odd. Never seen anything like this before.

He's not a digger, and remains indoors most of the time. I have not seen him chewing at them either.

Any ideas what this could be, and why??

I would appreciate any advice. I tried a web search but came up with nothing.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Could be any number of things, from diet to an autoimmune condition.
If the nails are actually cracking back to the nail bed, if they are falling off or if they are deformed, it is likely that there is a medical cause for the problem. The most likely cause would be lupoid onchodystrophy, followed by food allergies or other allergies, ringworm, bacterial infections and immune mediated diseases. Except for the ringworm and bacterial infections all of these conditions might respond to the high end dosages of 3V Capsules. It is likely that your vet can give you some idea of the possibility of an infectious cause following an examination.
For more on what Dr. Mike Richards has to say on this subject-Foot and Nail Problems

See your vet for diagnosis or treatment recommendations and keep us posted.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well saw his nail again today, and it was worse than before.

Took him to the vet, and they aren't sure what it is. We had the option of them amputating the toe, to test it and see what it is :( :(

Seems like a harsh choice if you ask me.....but I guess whatever it takes....

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Wow, I'm really sorry to hear this. :(

I think I'd definitely try the antibiotics and seek a second opinion before opting for amputation. Amputation, even of a toe, is pretty extreme --- it's definitely called for sometimes --- but unless I knew of some truly compelling reason to do it, I'd sure check with someone else first.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya, we are going with the antibiotics first, and hoping that works.

Not sure if fortunate or not, but this has been our vet for years, so we do have a trust value with him. It does seem extreme though to have to remove a toe. I mean if a human had this would they actually remove a toe, or just do a biopsy?

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
It's really, really good you trust him. :) And even better that you're going with the antibiotics first.

Good luck and please tell us what happens. I've never heard of anything like this before so would really like to know what's going on.

In the meantime, lots of good thoughts and woofs from here.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Just an idea here but people get funguses in their toe nails and they get crumbly. When i find a fungus on my pets, or horses, i use listerine on them. For the horses, i use an equal mixture of listerine and babyoil. I also saw some kittens once that had a fungus on their tails and suggested the owner try the listerine on their tails and it quickly went away. Listerine wouldnt hurt and is not expensive. YOu might try spraying some listerine on the nails to see if it responds some. Robbie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts