Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Worm here-- wanted to introduce myself... I hope we can be friends!

What a terrific place to meet other bassets and basset people! you were immensely helpful when I got here a couple months ago. it helped my person figure out what to do with me!! :p but my person was so busy taking care of me, she never had time to post anything until now. it took this long to figure out how to post pictures of me.

My name is Worm because I came with a bellyful of worms and I'm told I squiggle like a worm...! I am a 7 month old boy :cool: And i just got neutered :huh:

Some questions (now this is my person talking...)
--What to do about stick-eating? Worm eats a dozen sticks/day (not with my blessing) (Worm says 'well, they're organic, aren't they? what could be so bad about them?). Hard to avoid because he goes out for #1 & #2 and there are sticks all over this apartment complex, even in the concrete areas. He picks them up and crunches on them before I can stop him! Then when I try to get it out, he swallows them...
--Does your basset chase other animals? Worm doesn't do anything. He looks at cats, squirrels, and birds and does nothing... is that strange?

Here are some pics of me!

also, here are some links that were posted before-- wanted to share because they are funny ^_^

Photos - Bay Area Beagles (Hayward, CA) - Meetup

"I don't know if I like being sniffed..."

"All ears!!"

Attachments

·
Registered
437 Posts
Welcome worms....I myself am new as well and am a 4 month old male...my name is Woodrow Hayes and I have been told I have another trip to the vet in a week also for this neutering thing....

I have not noticed any stick eating but Woody does pull up on the grass (that is exposed now do to the snow melting) and the left over leaves get picked up as well....as far as chasing animals, he has an older mix chiuahua that serves his chase purposes....and little people (my 13 and 12 yr olds). other animals are way down the list...

Hope you enjoy the site and we can become fast "forum" pals...

Woody and his mom

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I have a stick eater!! Molly has been obsessed with sticks since the day I brought her home. On walks, she'll pick one up and carry it, head held high as though she is proud of this new treasure. I draw the line at letting her chew them. She used to swallow it, but now just chews them up and leaves a mess for me to clean up. If she manages to bring one in the house, she will run and hide with it and growl if I try to take it. I've learned that a treat or a finger full of peanut butter is enough to make her drop it and let me have it.

I pick my battles with her, but sticks simply don't seem like a good thing for a basset belly ;)

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Welcome Worm! Such a handsome young man!

Annie is not into sticks at all. She will indulge on some kitty roca (poop) if given the opportunity though. As for the birds, squirrels, etc, when she was younger she brought me two birds (ewww) and there is one squirrel that terrorizes her in the backyard. Thus far it has managed to stay on the walls and trees, I fear the day that it gets bold enough to test the ground with Annie around. Annie has also been known to chase leaves blowing in the wind, only to be scared if they suddenly blow back at her.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Oh Worm, your coloring reminds me of what Lightning used to look like. He too had that beautiful mahogany red on his face. His face started lightening up (not graying!) quite early. I love his white face, but I do miss that beautiful rich brown. As for the hunting instinct, a rabbit could jump over Lightning and he wouldn't notice. But skunks are a different matter! I think he thinks they are cats, and he loves to play chase with the kitties (he doesn't try to hurt cats or skunks though). I would worry about the stick eating and do whatever I could to prevent that, although others on here will have to give you tips for that. Welcome Worm!

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
--What to do about stick-eating? Worm eats a dozen sticks/day (not with my blessing) (Worm says 'well, they're organic, aren't they? what could be so bad about them?).
I tend to go with worm as it relates to sticks, while not total safe no chew is I don't think the risk is appreciable different than say a greeie. Then again just for perspective I had a dogs whose favorite chew toy was alluminium can which he shreddered. I never took them away from him because he did not eat them so I tend to be on the more tollerant side of these things.

You can try a bunch of the deterents out thie bittering sprays tobassco etc. They tend to work with the less intellegent breed but not bassets. for the following reasons

1. the bassets delicate palate often find such deterants more like condiments ie flavor inhancers.

2. the disciminate exceedingly well especial after a history of rewarding behavior. So it is likely the dog through smell or other sences can discrimiate the "tainted" sticks and avoid them and only grab the untainted ones.

So your only sure fire method besides pickup and removing each and everyy stick before taking worm out is to use a basket muzzle. These are the only safe muzzles to use with an dog during exercise/activity because they allow the dog to pant and cool himself. They are often recommended by rock eater. Rock are more likely to cause a blockage than a stick.

--Does your basset chase other animals? Worm doesn't do anything. He looks at cats, squirrels, and birds and does nothing... is that strange?
Macey, Toughy and Mariah sure think so. especial bandit the blind beagle that ended up climbing a tree chasing s squirel

bassets in cover

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Well my girl Lily ended up in the ER from a stick getting lodged in the roof of her mouth. =( Be careful w/the stick thing!

~Heather

·
Registered
616 Posts
Rosco was and some times still is a stick chewer. I say chewer because he generally tends to chew the stick but doesn't seem to swallow too much of it. To date he has never had a problem with getting sick or having blockages from them. It might be possible that Worm (great name by the way) is using them to help shed some baby teeth.

Now that Rosco is older, he still will chew a stick from time to time but not as much as when he was little. This might have to do with the fact that he finds rawhides and bully sticks to be a much tastier chew alternative. (I wouldn't recommend rawhides for puppies as some pups seem to get upset tummies from them).

·
Registered
209 Posts
Welcome Worm, you have such lovely velvety ears........

"Drop it" was one of those commands I wished I had taught Bentley early on, it would have saved me alot of scary moments. Perhaps as suggested by MollyFrecklesMom you could try stuffing a few treats in your pocket and when Worm picks up a stick command "drop it" and try food reward. Do you leash walk your boy? Maybe keeping him close by you can intervene early and break the habit. I'm no "Cesar" here just some thoughts :)

As for animal chasing, yup......squirrels, birds, rabbits, raccoons (that just scared me to death) he was game on for the hunt. He never caught anything but he had fun trying. Seemed like it was always the late night trip when I was tired and wanted to go to bed we had to walk around the yard in circles looking for that rabbit he smelled! Wow, I will miss that (sniff).......

Kathy and Angel Bentley ATB 3/1/11

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, thank you for the warm welcome :)
and thanks for all the thoughts & ideas about the stick-eating. I've decided to try the treat thing when taking him out on walks (and yes, on leash), and surprise!! not only does he drop the sticks & lose interest in them. it has also helped Worm's "bassets-who-refuse-to-walk-or-move-during their walks" issue, too. very true that "drop it" would be a good command for him to know. out of curiosity, would your dogs do "drop it" without a treat eventually? just wondering how far i can go with this. so far, he is definitely mainly food-motivated.

@Woody: hope your neutering goes well. keep us posted. Worm says 'the first week was awful because i couldn't go outside as much. i had cabin fever. but 2 weeks after, i am great. can't even tell i had stitches there, it's all healed over. wishing you a speedy recovery.'

@Molly: thx for the ideas. definitely agreed with you about "picking my battles" with my basset hound....! hit the nail on the head!

@Annie: Worm says "i chase leaves too!"

@Lightning: oh my. the only experiences i've had is with dogs that never change colors, until their faces turn white when they are really old. Worm is tri-color, and when his nice black coat started getting light brown patches, I was so worried! i thought maybe he was malnutritioned (which he coulda been with all the worms) and not enough vitamins, causing him to change colors. :huh: then i looked at this forum and was reassured that basset coats do change colors.. whew! but i am a little sad! looks like their faces can turn colors, and i do see that white area in the middle of his face starting to spread, it seems. I thought i was just imagining it, so thanks for the heads up, Lightning! .. i guess they continue to change throughout his life.

@Mikey: i briefly considered a muzzle, too... but probably people would wonder why i'm doing that to such a sad-looking dog...

haha. liked what you said about the "delicate palate" of bassets potentially causing them to think of bittering sprays as tasty condiments, which i totally believe. Worm's "delicate palate" has him enjoying apples, oranges, celery, carrots (even raw ones now), and his newest is... brussel sprouts! (Worm says, "i heart them.") hard to make people eat them, but my basset will...!

also, thanks for sharing the video. Worm's ears perked up when i played it.

@Rosco-- thanks for the compliment! hmmm... bully sticks. i knew they were tendons. then i found out this week WHERE THEY ARE TENDONS FROM....! :eek: yack! feeling a bit mixed about them now. tho they do keep Worm busy for awhile.

@Bentley's Mom-- thanks for the thoughts and also for sharing the stories of Bentley... you must miss angel Bentley so....

Till next time!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Thank you Worm, and we will keep you posted on Woody's (hopefully) speedy recovery....I think Mom will be the nervous one until she knows that I am safe....

Many happy days to you,
Woody and his mom Kristi

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I never even used the "drop it" command with Annie until a few months ago when she picked up some sort of dead creature vertebrae (ewww!). She responded immediately, no treats necessary. She knows that when she picks something funky up our walk comes to a halt and my hand grabs her collar unless she drops whatever it is. So now, unless it's cat poop (her fav), she drops immediately upon command.

I imagine that eventually no treats would be necessary to initiate Mr Worm's dropping of the sticks.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I had a dachund years ago that when he picked something up, I'd just say "Blech..." and he spit it right out..it was the same thing I did with my son who was 3 at the time (21 now)...I try to say that to Woody now and he just looks at me...my son's not there to lead by example....LOL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts