Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello. My family and I are bringing a lab/basset hound into our home in a week or so. He is three years old. He's housebroken and uses a doggie door at his foster home. He is very good with kids. He seemed very respectful of our cat as well. We're going to be on a tentative trial for a couple of weeks as my son has special needs and we need to be absolutely sure that it's a good match for both him and the dog.

Now, most of the time the dog with be with myself or family. He will, however, be by himself from 8am until 330pm two days a week until the end of the school year (my husband teaches and will be home full time for summer). I looked into doggie daycare but there really isn't one nearby to drop him off that works with my husband's schedule (I am unable due to driving my son to school). I've been researching and have read that basset hounds are particularly pack oriented and relunctant to be left alone. The initial plan had been to install a doggie door on to our sliding glass door but our vet has informed us that our indoor kitty can NOT go out anymore due to health reasons. So that nixes the doggie door. My plan right now is to gate the doors to my kitchen and keep the dog there during the day when I'm at work. My daughter will be letting him out to the back yard when she gets home from school.

I was thinking of the backyard, with an igloo, but I worry too much about the dog catching a scent and digging his way under the fence or mournfully howling his displeasure to the neighborhood.

I have been looking for someone to come and walk him once during the day while we're gone but haven't had any luck finding someone yet. I'll keep looking.

So, my question:
I know that my friend's lab holds its urine for up to 8 hours before she gets home from work and walks him. Do you think a lab/basset hound can do the same or am I just fooling myself?

Thanks!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Our previous basset, once she was a year old, could be left 8 to 10 hours and not mess in the house no problem. Our current two are pups so no telling on them yet.

·
Registered
782 Posts
My basset, Francis, was never alone for more than 4 hours at a stretch (I could come home for lunch then) so when I quit my job and went back to school, Fran had to stay home for up to 12 hours at a stretch and he never had an accident. He was amazing, once or twice I was away for up to 16 hours because my car broke down and he still held it. I was so proud of him.
I now work a 12 hour day but I have a dog walker come midday and he does really well. He's older now and we have the rare accident now and then but he still does a great job.

·
Registered
12,960 Posts
informed us that our indoor kitty can NOT go out anymore due to health reasons
If you so desire their are a couple of alternative that would allow the dog door to work. There are a number of doors on the market that work with an electronic collar. that is the will not open unless the animal with an appropriate collar tries to use it.

Second is to place the dog door in a room that can be secured from the cat this allows the dog to use the door but not the cat.

An alternative to doogie day care is a pet sitting/walking service. They are ussually cheeper than daycare. They could come during the middle (once or more) of the day. The advantage of this is if the dog and cat do get along then the cat may provide enough companionship to avoid seperation anxiety. The method that issolate the cat and dog do not accomplish this.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Alone time!

"Alone time" is the number one issue holding me back from getting a new basset. When I brought my first pup home, I only worked part-time (half day) and even then I had someone come mid-morning to let the pup out and visit but we still had problems with seperation anxiety. As time moved forward and our lives changed, I started working full time but Lucy was older by the time we left her alone for 8 hours. She never had accidents and had gotten over the worst of the seperation anxiety but still didn't like her "alone time". I miss having a basset so much but just haven't come up with a good plan to make it work. I would feel too guilty about leaving a pup alone so much. Don't know of dog walking services in our area and only one doggie daycare which is very expensive. I'm praying to find someone who would be happy to share in the care of a basset by providing daytime companionship and not want all the financial responsibility, which I would provide. Did anyone ever hear of dog sharing?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts