Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you that have suffered through HGE with your loved ones have any information on the turn around times? Belle's first night home was uneventful, and she is extremely tired. We tried to get her to eat some of the Hill's Prescription Diet i/d food that the vet sent home with us, but she wanted nothing to do with it. We were able to get her to eat a milk bone dog biscuit and she only took a couple of drinks of water. When we got up this morning, she had peed in her kennel, but we believe this is just due to all of the fluids she received at the vets. She had more solid stool this morning when we took her out, with only trace spots of blood.

Although we're relieved she has survived the shock on the first day, we're still worried about her behavior now. Yes it was a very traumatic experience for her, but when can we begin to relax and get our lovable couch potato back? It's now been approximately 48 hours since this all began and hopefully she'll be better before I develop ulcers :( .

If anyone can provide even a rough timeline and what stages your little one went through, we would be extremely grateful for the peace of mind.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Buffet's bout was almost 2-1/2 years ago. I seem to remember that it took almost a week for the stools to clear up, and maybe a month or so before her stamina was back. She competes in obedience, and it took about that long for her performance to come back to pre-illness levels. You might see faster improvement with Belle, unless you're making similar physical demands on her.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply Betsy. Belle is the princess of the house and the extent of her physical activity is the walks she goes on and the Basset Living Room Race when she comes inside. Right now she's just sleeping, and walking outside to go potty is a huge exertion for her. She is drinking in small amounts, but still not interested in eating. Just hoping that we see her appetite return withing the next 24 hours.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Roady only missed a meal because he was NPO-he aways has eaten even when sick one can't judge appetite return by him. Stools were clear of blood in about 4 days but took a couple of weeks to firm up. Not much change in beh As HGE is a diagnosis of exclusion I would call the vet if she's still acting depressed and not eating. I always insist on abdominal films to rule out foreign bodies.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Happy to say that with each passing hour Belle is showing improvement. She is finally eating the prescription diet food that the vet sent home with us and is drinking normally. She's still lethargic (even for her) but she is now starting to roam the kitchen with nose to the floor :) .

·
Registered
538 Posts
SUCH good news!!! It's so hard when they get so ill so suddenly. I go into "panic" mode. Emma reacted to a bee sting one summer that just about threw me into cardiac arrest :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts