Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
We just adopted our 6 month old basset, and having a bit of a struggle. She used to poop outside at the other owner's house but here she only poops in the house, she's super clingly but she's also suffering seperation anxiety and while i work from home i have many occasions where i just cant give her full attention and considering putting her in a room with a doggy barrier in it with toys. But when we do she howls like hell.. Any tips appreciated

Same with pooping and peeing, i take her for walks but she just licks the grass and waits till we get home to poop :(

·
Registered
13,077 Posts
walking and deficating are incomatable. need to create a specific spot out side bring her there and do little nothing till she does be as boring as possible. ClickerSolutions Training Articles -- Potty Training Tip
"
. Get an x-pen, also called a puppy pen or an exercise pen. They're small pens made of heavy metal wire fencing. They give the pup an area not too much bigger than a large crate, and they sit right on the ground. Set up the x-pen in a grassy area with nothing else on the ground inside it, use a few tent stakes to stake it to the ground so it can't be knocked over if the pup jumps up against it, and put her inside. She doesn't come out to sniff, or play or go inside, until she goes potty. As soon as she goes potty, out she comes with much rejoicing, apply treats to puppy liberally, and then it's play/explore time, or whatever else she wants to do. Her reward for pottying is to get out of "potty prison". It worked pretty well for the little boy I fostered last summer--he had nothing in the pen to distract him from business at hand, and he really wanted out so he learned to get to work in a hurry"
+

·
Registered
2 Posts
As far as the house breaking, we took him out on a leash every time, multiple times a day for weeks. Every time we went out I said “hurry up” in a nice voice. Now, at 11 months he asks to go out but before bed at night I just say “hurry up” and he goes right away. I also have him go in the yard before we go on a walk, so now he knows when the leash goes on he has to go (and I generally know when he has to go, we have a very consistent walk schedule).
He was also very upset when we first started leaving him, would howl and whine while we were gone and try to barge out the door when we left. We have a pen set up in the living room with a comfy bed. It’s always open but when we leave, or when he’s being crazy we give him a treat and lock him in. It’s his safe space and makes it so he doesn’t have to wander the house and look for things to destroy. He knows if he starts climbing on the furniture that we magically appear. So he gets to chill out in his safe space while we are gone, first just for a few minutes and now we. An leave for an hour or more and when we come home he’s resting in his bed in his pen. Good luck, it just takes loads of time and consistency.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts