Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Hi, yes it is/was. The test is this weekend and we have had practice tests at the local veterans hospital the past two weekends. But she was a brat the whole time. She can't last 1 minute literally on the supervised seperation despite being able to do it in training class and at home. The first practice test she was so bad, the instructor asked if she had been to training! She's been in training since July.
Long story short. I am going to wait until the April test and try again. With more practice in the mean time. She starts ring obedience training on the 14th and has been doing well at home when I practice off lead exercises with her.
So I am taking Molly, my golden/chow mix to the test this weekend.
Thank you so much for thinking of us though. I'll keep you posted on her progress. It is frustrating though. I'm not frustrated with her, but with myself thinking I must not be doing something right or not enough or something.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh Lily you basset!!! I bet the extra time will do the trick.In the meantime, good luck with Molly today!

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
She's quite young still, which may account for some of her inconsistency, so don't be too hard on her or yourself.

Another issue is context--dogs aren't very good at generalizing learned behaviors from familiar places to unfamiliar places. The veterans hospital is probably different enough from your home or training class that it's throwing her off. The usual remedy for this is to practice with a green (inexperienced) dog in many different locations, so they eventually learn that stay means stay, no matter where they are.

Good luck with her--with time and practice, she'll be great! :)

·
Registered
987 Posts
Thanks for all the support.
I'm sure Lily just needs a little more time and thats fine. I've got plenty of time.
And Betsy you are so right she needs more work in different and new places. Now that her training classes are only one night a week instead of three I should be able to take care of that more easily. She is the only dog going to class this time as well so I will have more time to go to other places with all of them.

Before I forget, Molly passed today!!!! She has her CGC and her TDI therapy certification! Whhoohooo!

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Congratulations to you and Molly, CGC, TDI! :D Two thumbs up!

[ March 05, 2006, 06:56 PM: Message edited by: Betsy Iole ]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts