Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Murphy and I have a new home now, and that's why we havent posted in a while. Yup we are offically living with my fiance down in South South SOUTH New Jersey. Out in the sticks, as we like to say. Its been a big adjustment for us, since we're city folk. When we lived with my mom, it was across the Delaware River from Philadelphia, so lots of row homes, traffic, and airplanes flying over head. I still work up in that area, which is a solid hour drive one way. And I dont hit any traffic. Most of the commute is highway, too. So my only grief is burning a quarter tank of gas a day!

Murphy loves it, and so do I! Unfortunately, I cannot walk him in this neighborhood because this guy down the street lets his dog-agressive Rotweiler (sp?) run the neighborhood.

Anyway, Murphy is now 21 pounds and 3 months old and doing great! House breaking is coming along wonderfully, he is also crate trained which is nice too. And his kennel cough is all gone and he's almost all done his shots :lol: which I'm sure he's happy about. Although because of the Clavamox we were giving him to treat the kennel cough, he now knows the word "cheese" and the sound of it being unwrapped.

The only trouble we have with him is trying to cut his nails. When were not grooming, I'm constantly touching his feet which he doesnt mind. But when he feels the sensation of the nail clippers, he freaks out, so Bill has to restrain him. Which, as Murphy gets bigger, Im sure will become harder and harder to do.

Anyway, I'm home sick today with Murph (strained my back while painting my sister's new house this weekend), so I will definately get some pictures up here for you all to see.

PS we love the new forum site!

Edited to say: Murphy doesnt howl. We've been trying to get him to, (which I'm sure at some point we'll regret it when he does learn how) but is it common that it doesn't start until they're older? He's very "verbal" now, but now howling. Thanks.

-Oscar&Murphy's Mom
Amy Conroy

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
As far as howling: Murray is almost 4 and has never done it. Last year I went to pick him up at the vet's office and arrived to find every dog in the kennel area howling their heads off. It seems the vet (funny guy) wanted to hear Murray howl, so he stood in the middle of the kennel and started to howl himself- it got all the dogs going EXCEPT Murray- Murray just sat there somberly staring at the vet like he was a crazy person-

The nail clipping question I'll leave to others who have dealt with this problem- Murray's always been Ok with this-

And congratulations on your move!

·
Registered
813 Posts
George doesn't howl either, unless I play my clarinet. LOL I dunno if he's singing or complaining. I strongly suspect the latter.

As for the nails, he's always been VERY uncooperative about that until the last time. I told him to get up on the couch (so I could kneel next to it) and he hopped right up. He let me cut them all without so much as a murmur, though I had to do it fast and we had a little trouble with the feet on the side he was lying on (he wouldn't roll over for me and expected a MAJOR belly rub, apparently). So it's probably just a matter of struggling until she gets used to it and resigns herself to it. Maybe if you catch her when she's kind of tired and lazy?

·
Registered
511 Posts
I'm still wanting to get my two on video howling away, but the only time they howl is when the town's fire alarm goes off. So I never know when it will go off.
The town uses the tornado/air-raid siren to alert volunteer fireman. It's ONE BLOCK from my house. When it points towards my house, you can't hear the dogs, so the neighbors can't complain.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Mocha and Beldin just howled the other day for the first time when my son was playing his harmonica. And they're a year and 4 months old now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts