Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently found out that my 7 year old Basset Hound has 3 herniated discs, as well as the beginning signs of arthritis. Surgery is not an option for me unfortunately :(

She is going on her second week of steroids and muscle relaxants, as well as strict cage rest, no walking around whatsoever, and I am not seeing much improvement. She also appears to be in more pain. Rather than weaning her off the meds, we have had to up her dosage.

A decsion may have to be made soon on whether or not we should put her down. The inability to walk and excruciating pain, is just no life for a dog.

I guess, what I'm wondering, is if anyone has had a similar experience with their pet? And if there is another alternative that we may not have considered. Any comments or suggestions would be truly appreciated.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sadly it looks like we may have to put her down. We have see 4 different vets, and they all agree that her only chance of recovery is surgery, which, regrettably, I have no chance of being able to afford. Between the actual cost of the surgery itself, the 10 days of post surgery, and the 3 months of recovery, there is just no way.

The vets also said that seeing as she has not been able to walk for 2 weeks now, the chance of the surgery even being successful does not look very good.

This is an extremely difficult decision for us to make. How far do you take this. There is only so much medication can do to make her comfortable. They are only band-aids at this point.

:( :cry:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.