Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently found out that my 7 year old Basset Hound has 3 herniated discs, as well as the beginning signs of arthritis. Surgery is not an option for me unfortunately :(

She is going on her second week of steroids and muscle relaxants, as well as strict cage rest, no walking around whatsoever, and I am not seeing much improvement. She also appears to be in more pain. Rather than weaning her off the meds, we have had to up her dosage.

A decsion may have to be made soon on whether or not we should put her down. The inability to walk and excruciating pain, is just no life for a dog.

I guess, what I'm wondering, is if anyone has had a similar experience with their pet? And if there is another alternative that we may not have considered. Any comments or suggestions would be truly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Sorry to hear about your hound. I had a dog with arthritis of the spine and a herniated disc who did well with medical treatment, 1 month cage rest, steroids and muscle relaxants. He was not paralyzed but had ataxia and was falling over when he tried to walk. After the month of crate rest we tried acupuncture and it actually improved his walking. He walked more easily and with an actual spring to his step. He had one brief reoccurrence but other wise did well. He was 11 or 12 when this happened.

I would certainly give it some time unless of course the pain is not managable. I know bassets that have had hind limb paralysis that have come around but it has taken a long time. What does your vet say regarding the prognosis without surgery/with surgery?

If the cost of the surgery is the issue there are resources out there and things that can be done to make it possible so let us know if you'd like information on it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sadly it looks like we may have to put her down. We have see 4 different vets, and they all agree that her only chance of recovery is surgery, which, regrettably, I have no chance of being able to afford. Between the actual cost of the surgery itself, the 10 days of post surgery, and the 3 months of recovery, there is just no way.

The vets also said that seeing as she has not been able to walk for 2 weeks now, the chance of the surgery even being successful does not look very good.

This is an extremely difficult decision for us to make. How far do you take this. There is only so much medication can do to make her comfortable. They are only band-aids at this point.

:( :cry:

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
I have also had a hound go down in the rear. She recovered without surgery, but she wasn't nearly as disabled as yours sounds. Just want to extend my sympathy to you and your hound. :cry:

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I'm so sorry that you have to make this difficult decision. :cry: I'd consider what the vets had to say, look at the quality of life my dog currently has, difficutly with pain managment, and then listen to my heart. Whatever decision you make will be the right one.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
It's a tough decision, I've had two dogs go down in the rear.

In Myrtle's case, I was told she would not recover without surgery, but since she wasn't in any pain I decided to just deal with it and keep up her physio and she did eventually walk again. If she hadn't I would have gotten her a cart.

In Mouse's case, however, she was in terrible pain which could not be controlled. The vet's opinion was that even surgery would not relieve it. I had to let her go.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Herniated disc- surgery

Hello all, new to the forum. So, about 3D ago, my basset Molly had some difficulty with walking which progressed to paralysis of hind legs. We took her to the vet and found out she had 3 herniated discs and went to surgery. Just before surgery she wasn't moving her legs but still had response to deep pain. After surgery, itseems like she can still feel her toes, but isn't moving her legs yet.

Just curious what people's experiences are with recovery after herniated disc and spinal cord injury.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Being that we have had miniature dachshunds ever since I was a child in the 50s and am now almost 68, and currently have 18 miniature doxies that are notorious for herniated (IVDD) disks, the Veterinary community has been having good results with cold laser therapy and also acupuncture, all in conjunction with steroids and strict crate rest. We often go to the School of Veterinary Medicine in Auburn University, in Auburn, Alabama and while talking to the one Professor of Vet Medicine and Orthopedics, he said that there is not as much disk surgery being performed as there used to be. Unlike surgery, water therapy, steroids, acupuncture, cold laser and crate rest may take longer but they are all non invasive proceedures and that is always better even if it does take a bit longer. With all that said have you tried water therapy, or acupuncture or cold laser treatment? They can and do help in a lot of cases.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts