Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a nice 16mth old Basset needing nice home!
Is this anywhere near where Summit lives? Photos on the link

Basset Hound to be rehomed

I am currently fostering a Basset Hound named Ozwald or Ozzy, and looking for a GOOD home with a fenced in yard. He is up to date on all shots and is neutered. He is 16 mos. old, micro-chipped, AKC registered and comes with a 6 month supply of flea, tick, and heart worm meds.

If you are interested in adopting this beautiful boy, then send me an email. We are only asking $50 dollars as an adoption fee to insure a good home. We would like to meet all interested parties in person, and also will need verification that you have a fenced in yard. Bassets are track hounds and being such will take off on their nose when not on a leash. Ozwald is a great dog and loves to snuggle, especially in the bed with you at nite. He is crate trained, but does need some additional work on his potty training. He is doing a great job here so far and only a couple of little accidents. I am confident he will progress with this nicely in the right home.

·
Registered
19 Posts
That's not exactly close to where summit lives. I also live in colorado. Check out denver.ebayclassifieds aka kijiji.com. Right now I think there is 4 or 5 basset puppies in greeley from a breeder akc registered for $425. Now I'm not sure if they are good breeders or anything... but the pups look in good shape in my opinion. Oh! Also the milesaver.com. In colby kansas they have akc bassets for $85. I live in northeastern colorado.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
At $450 I can guarantee you they don't come from good breeders.

EDIT: OMG "Trades considered"!

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Didn't Your freind trade a husband :p
:D

Obviously she didn't get the basset from a good breeder. But she DID manage to get rid of the husband!

·
Registered
774 Posts
We happened into our Basset, someone had bought her and she didn't fit with their family so they were giving her away on Craigslist of all places. I know we'll want another one at some point and it sounds like I'll be doing a lot of research to find the right people to buy a puppy from!! I've worked with the Humane Society here locally to investigate some Chihuahua puppy mills and it just broke my heart. No way do I want to support that sort of thing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm new here and I'm really enjoying the forum. My question is: How do you find the right person to buy from when many good breeders are not listed online?

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
I'm new here and I'm really enjoying the forum. My question is: How do you find the right person to buy from when many good breeders are not listed online?
Check out the clubs, either the Basset Hound Club of America, which has their membership listed online by state, or regional Basset Hound clubs in your area. Either is a good source for referrals.

Another way to find breeders is to visit some shows in your area, especially Specialty (Basset only) shows. This way you can meet the breeders and see what their dogs are like all in one place.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
The regional basset hound clubs have a breeder refferral Using the search function on the AKC web site will provide this information. Also using the event search function on the AKC.org website you can find local dog shows in your area as well.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thank you! I've seen some AKC certified breeders online that will ship all over the US, which I've heard you guys say is not a good sign. (summit's threads have been really helpful!)

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Thank you! I've seen some AKC certified breeders online that will ship all over the US, which I've heard you guys say is not a good sign. (summit's threads have been really helpful!)
There are some good breeders who will ship a pup (sometimes there's just no other way to get the pup where it needs to go), but they're not going to send one of their pups off to a total stranger. If all a breeder wants to know about you is how you intend to pay, run.

When I purchased my first female from Texas, the breeder had to travel to a city near me, so they flew up with her. Even though I'd been referred by a friend of theirs, and we'd been corresponding by email for some time, I'm sure if they didn't like me when we met she would have been on the next plane back to Texas.

BTW, the AKC does not certify breeders, they are simply a registry. Any inspections that they perform are to ensure compliance with paperwork (although if the inspector does not feel that the dogs are in good conditions they will report them to the authorities). AKC registration simply means that both parents are registered and of the same breed-and even then a lot of it is reliant on the honor of the person submitting the paperwork-another reason why you want to select a known breeder with a good reputation.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
any one claiming to be "certified" by akc should be avoided. It is the dogs that are certified not the breeder. AKC is a breed registry they a test to the pedigree of the dog only not the quality of the breeder nor the quality of the dog.

dang Miriam beat me by 3 minutes. Goes to show how slow I type

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
My Vinny was shipped to me in PA from California and only cost 160.00 7 years ago, but my refference was from a breeder judge so Vinny's breeder felt comfortable with me.We talked many times on the phone and e-mails. Back then I paid $1000.00 for Vinny plus shipping and although I bought him to show it turned out his shoulders were too far forward so his back looked like a ski slope which ment he was not going into the show ring, but that is the chance I took. He is still a great pet and I have never had any big health problems with him to date, His temperment is the best so the money was well spent. I know most on this site do not get their dogs to show but it is something I like to do.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts