Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HGE is characterized by a rapid onset of vomiting and diarrhea, often with varying degrees of associated GI bleeding. From Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis (HGE) (Dr. Barl Spielman)
What to Watch For

Acute vomiting
  Anorexia
  Depression
  Bloody diarrhea

Clinical signs are variable in both the course and severity of the disease.  The onset of HGE is usually very quick/immediate, with no previous warning signs or health problems reported in the affected individuals. Signs progress rapidly and become severe within a few hours.  Signs of shock, collapse, and sudden death have been reported.
HGE affects middle-aged dogs (average age is 5 years old). The cause is unknown. Treatment is supportive and includes hydration and treatment with antibiotics. If the diagnosis is made in a timely manner, most dogs will improve quickly, once treatment is started.

Canine Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis (VetCentric)

Veterinary Q & A: HGE
Also know as Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis (About.com)

[ September 02, 2003, 09:02 PM: Message edited by: Betsy Iole ]

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
Thanks Betsy:

Two of the 5 pups I am curently living with have had HGE like symptoms and were treated approriately. Fortunately they did not require a hospital stay for IV fluids as subcutaneous fluids proved to adequately rehydrate the dogs.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I know a lot of the dogs I'm acquainted with are bassets but I do speak to other breed owning people ;) and have not heard of this in breeds other than bassets or other hounds. Probably just a coincidence but wondered if there was any breed predisposition to this disease? Roady's has had it and two of his siblings, one whom died of HGE.

A

·
0 Posts
Ray's beagle Bandit had it the first year we went to the Basst Nationals in St Louis. Fortunately, there was a vet right down the road who took her right in and gave the meds. She wasn't even hydrated and bounced right back. I didn't realize that they could die. That's even scarier.
pat

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Pat, didn't mean to scare you. Dogs usually recover from HGE provided the fluid loss is addressed. I don't recall the details in this case but the dog came home, apparently was doing well and then died. Memory isn't what it used to be so I'm not sure if the bleeding reoccurred or what. Karen, do you remember? :eek:

A

·
0 Posts
Barbara, I do think that the bleeding did come back and he was gone in no time. I think by then he was so weak that he couldn't withstand it any more. Also, my friend (also named Karen) did change vets after that. I think she partially blamed them for Barney's demise. I know his sister who she still has,has sometimes had bloody stool and she panics. That has always been because of an inflamation and has cleared up each time.

·
Registered
80 Posts
hellow this is spencer my 3 mouth old basset as been treated last week for gastro enteritos he had blood in his feeces from the onset when we picked him up. we rang the breeder he didnt want to no .i went to the vets he was given his firt injection also antibiotics and put on a diet off bland food he was fine after a week 2 weeks later he went back for his last injectoin and was given a clean bill off health .3 days later there was just bloody mucus allover the kitchen floor and he deterated so fast when we got him to the vet he was dehidrated and put on a drip he was never sick the vet said it was gastoenteritus he was able to come home the next day he has now finished his second course off antibiotics he back on the hills science diet he was fine the feces sample the vet said is clear nothing had grown on it.yesterday he seemed lifeless and his stomach was rumberling very loud he wouldnt eat or drink then he picked up at tea time he is fine today i wonder if he has got the above mentioned topic the vet keeps saying make sure he is insured can anyone advise me the last bill was very expensive.could it have been just gastroentritus like the vet said.or could it be the above topic he is full of energy today and eaten loads iwould apreciate all your opions thanks spencers mum

1 - 7 of 7 Posts