Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my Basset is about to be 8 in October and we’ve been struggling from anal gland problems. I started noticing a smell so I took her to get them expressed and little did I know one had ruptured. Mind you She’s never had this issue before. So I take her to the vet and they “packed” and “flushed” them and told me it should get better will two weeks go by and it gets worse. They put her on two different antibiotics and said it should do the trick. So after the antibiotics all seemed good for about a month until a week ago I started smelling the stench again! So I think oh maybe they are full and go and have them expressed againnnnn! Well long story long I still have a stinky dog and all she wants to do is lick even with her having a cone on her head. I thought about switching up her food bc maybe it’s allergies but I’m really at a loss. Anyone have any suggestions? She’s not over weight btw, but she’s not super active either.

·
Registered
12,903 Posts
sometimes more fibre helps ie adding pumpkin or green bean but once there is a problem it is likely to recure. We have one with an issue and it takes monthly expressions to prevent a problems other dogs need more frequent . In worse case scenario the can be surgically removed but it not done without risk. Some times the anatomy of the dog is not conducive for self expressing the glands.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts