Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We give Anabelle an herbal supplement to help her bladder and while it has helped a lot the problem seems to be getting worse lately. I know that vet meds for this are expensive (though with any luck my pet insurance will cover the condition after the first $200) so I am wondering if any of you have any experience with this and what you can do to help it.

She "leaks" when she gets excited sometimes. Yesterday she did so while just laying in her bed.

This is what we give her, and like I said it helps: NaturVet Senior Bladder Support Time Release Tablets for Dogs at PETCO

·
Registered
181 Posts
I had an old girl that leaked and she was on Incurin tablets.
She took one tab a day and they worked very well for several years.We are in the UK and I think that 30 tablets was about £15.
Propalin is an alternative and this is a liquid.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Related question: how much water should a basset drink? She drinks a LOT which I'm sure doesn't help.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
She "leaks" when she gets excited sometimes. Yesterday she did so while just laying in her bed.
FWIW if anabelle is a young dog excitement/submissive urination general ends as the dog matures, That said excitement urination is general the result of behavioral not physical issue

If anabelle is older (not always older two of min with this ;problem started between 2-3 years old) and there are rather frequent episodes of urination spot where she normal sleeps or lays down is known as spay incontinence. It is a loss of control of the smooth muscle sphinter of the ureathra because of a lack of sex hormone. Hence the much more frequent occurance in spay and nueter animals over intacted. Hormone replacement therapy usually does the trick but comes with a host of side effects and risks. The more common practice is to use PPA tradename "Proin" it is rather inexpensive and quite effective.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
When Spot was older he started drinking more than normal. The vet ran tests and was unable to find anything wrong, and it never seemed to be related to any health issue, but as a result of the extra water intake he also had to pee more often.

I would suggest checking out whether she has spay incontinence since it is relatively simple and inexpensive to "fix".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts