Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't been here in a while but need the support of a basset community. Alex is a spayed, 13 year old who has cronic immflamatory bowel disease. About a month ago, she started urinating in her sleep and did not want to eat(not like her usual self). Also, started drinking more than usual. I took her to the vet suspecting kindney failure but blood, urine, and xrays came back normal. He did say that she had the worst looking back that he had ever seen on xray. He put her on pain meds and something to help her contract her bladder and it seems to help. He also said that it could be the early signs of kidney failure that haven't had enough time to show up on blood work. I'm a little concerned because this is a new vet that I am taking her to because of the hurricane. He isn't new but we are to him. He seems nice and has taken care of my husbands labs but really can't give us an answer on why she was acting this way. I know she is old..It seems like one day is a good day and the next isn't. Any suggestions?

Lisa

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
When they get old, everything seems to start going wrong. :(

I thought Lady had kidney failure for a long time - which she might still have kidney disease, I'm not saying she doesn't, although her poop and everything are looking just fabulous these days - but her blood tests are all normal.

Betsy, I think, mentioned, though, that kidney disease won't show up in blood tests til it's pretty advanced.

And it sounds like your vet is cognizant of that.

Betsy also said they can test their urine (sorry for paraphrasing you here, Betsy, but I think that's what you said - !). If you don't want to get the urine sample yourself (which really - you don't - I tried with Lady and all I accomplished was annoying her), the vet can do it.

Something else to think about is that with so many of them, when they get to be oldsters, it's just one thing after another. I worry myself silly over Lady, and sometimes it's justified - other times, not. For example, when i was certain she was in kidney failure, it turned out she had tick disease.

Then, I became certain she has degenerative myelopathy (which German Shepherds get) because this weird thing characteristic of the disease was happening with her hind foot all the time - like several times a day. So I made an appointment with the vet and posted about it here --- and it hasn't happened once and she's been running around like a 3 year old.

:blink:

And she may still have degenerative myelopathy or similar - but whereas last week, it looked like she was on a straight slope speeding right on down, this week, she's chipper and running around without a limp to be seen.

Likely, you already have (and will) run into the same thing. But if you think about it, 13 years old is positively ancient for a dog - like the equivalent of what - a 70 - 80 year old human? And because dogs' lifespans are so much shorter than ours, things happen more quickly, it seems. Like their DNA is triggered faster or something.

So you're not imagining things - it's just that it's likely not necessarily a single thing, but a lot of things, just like what happens with older humans. You know - older humans get arthritis, bad hips, their hearts start going bad, then a bit of skin cancer on their nose, then uh oh a bit of kidney disease and that makes their knees swell and on and on and on, and they have it all going on at the same time. Not a single thing, but like a cascade of things, and much of it just simply a factor of the aging process.

And your vet sounds like mine with Lady. Old dogs are fragile and they get a lot of things going on. Your vet might not be able (or willing) to pinpoint a single thing because it might not be a single thing.

I hope this makes sense. I'm trying to explain about 20 different things here, it feels like, but it's late in the day and I'm not sure I communicated any of it at all well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Biscuit,
Thanks, just needing to vent. But I am really worried. It seemed like very sudden onset. One day fine(for a old dog) and the next day, not eating and peeing everywhere. She also seemed very disoriented and was shaking. The vet said the shaking was likely from the pain she was in from her arthritic back. The back could also be the reason for the incontience. Both the shaking and the incontience have cleared up with the meds. Her appitight is up and down and she is still drinking alot. The vet did say that I have taken really good care of her which makes me feel alot better. It is just hard watching the old ones get unhealthy. I'm under alot of stress right now with work, etc, and this is making me feel like an emontional mess!! But we love them and want to do what is best for them. I'm crying again just writing this.
THanks,
Lisa

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We have decided today to put her down next Saturday. She hasn't been eating and now seems to be blind. It is difficult but I feel that it is best for her. It seems like her body is shutting down. All she does is sleep and shake from the pain. Please think of us this week.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
You are in my thoughts. I know that this is a difficult time, but I'm sure you know that you are doing what is best.

~Heather

·
Registered
183 Posts
I am sorry. I know exactly what you are going through. Our first Bassett, Sasha Foo, was 13 when we had to make that decision. Similar issues as what you are experiencing. I was hand feeding her small treats, she slept constantly, was going blind and had started to loose her hearing. It just seemed to happen so quickly and we struggled with the decision. In the end it's the right thing to do - not for us but for our companions. Please know that all of us will be thinking of you and that we understand. Take care.

Suzanne

1 - 8 of 8 Posts