Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope all this doesn't sound as stupid as I feel.....

My son has just recently started showing my lab in Jr. Showmanship. Our local club's show is coming up next month, he plans to take Diva, (lab) one day for Jr.'s, and Jeb, his basset, the next. I think that part's a good plan.

What I'm not sure about is, on the day he takes Jeb, he also wants to enter in conformation. He doesn't have any grand illusions of winning or anything like that, he wants to enter for ring experience, someday, hopefully in next couple of years, he plans to have a dog bred for the show ring.

One of my questions is, will the judge or anyone get irritated with him for wasting their time, or anything like that? He does have flanged ribs, how bad of a fault is that? Is it one that we should just keep him out of the ring all together? Finally, here's the dumbest question of all time...how long is too long? I swear, Jeb is the LONGEST dog I have EVER seen! LOL

I'm sorry to be bothering y'all with these questions, we don't know anyone who shows bassets, there weren't even any entered at the last show we went to for us to watch.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Assuming the dog is not neutered, and is AKC registered, and has no disqualifying faults (check the standard), there is nothing to stop him from taking the dog in the ring. I've certainly seen "pet quality" dogs in the ring, even at the Nationals. It is unlikely that the judge would give him a hard time and the other exhibitors will love him for boosting the points without them having to worry about losing to him.

My second basset, Watson, was purchased as a show dog but didn't turn out. I showed him anyway for a few years, partly because I enjoyed showing and he was my only dog, partly for the practice, and partly because he loved dog shows. We had fun and even picked up a couple of points.

Flanged ribs is a fault that an all breed judge is not likely to notice (unless it's really obvious). It is a problem in bassets, though, so a breeder-judge is likely to check for it.

Got a picture of Jeb?

------------------
Miriam,
Mom to Kermit, Spot, Mouse, Rainbow, Copper, Sally, Gabby, Ginger, Lucy, Webster & Rosie

My friend got a basset hound for her husband.......I think she made a good trade.

[This message has been edited by Soundtrack (edited 11-21-2002).]

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!!!

We've been reading and rereading the breed standards, and the flanged ribs are the only obvious fault that we can find, although, like I said before, we aren't very familiar with show bassets. I think his rear might be a little "sharp",(I don't know how else to explain it) but that could be because he's still a little underweight. He was extremely underweight when my son got him.

He's about 14 1/2 months old, 13 3/4" tall, and about 37-40 pounds. My son made a site for him, it's http://www.geocities.com/bassetboy10 I need to get some film developed so he can update it.

Here's another "silly" question, (believe me, I have all kinds of them!) On Sat, there's different judges for Jr. Showmanship and the Basset ring. On Sunday, it's the same judge for both rings...which day do you think would be better for him to enter Jeb? He's been saying he was only entering Jeb one day, and taking Diva for Jr's the other because he didn't want to stress Jeb out too much.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I think it's great that your son is interested in showing. On your question as to which day to enter, if he's looking for the most experience for his money, then two different judges would be best. This will expose him to differences in how judges examine the dog, move the dog around the ring, and ring demeanor--just to cite a few ways judges are different.

Good luck and most of all have fun.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts