Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Miles, my cockatiel, flew out the door past me when I went to let Peanut and Tarquin in. I came close to getting him down, but he got spooked and took off as it was getting dark. That was 3 hours ago and I don't know what to do! My friends have suggested putting his cage out in the back yard and see if in the daylight he can find his way home. I guess I'll make some flyers as well. Has anyone else lost a bird like this? If you have, any suggestions!
I really love this bird! He loves to sit and watch me on the computer and sing, and he loves arguing with Tarquin.....
Please keep us in your thoughts...send positive drool and vibes that he makes his way back home safe and sound!
Thanks!

A

·
0 Posts
Oh no! I hope he finds his way back. I have never had a bird so no help there but you are in my thoughts and prayers. Keep us up dated! yvonne

·
Registered
56 Posts
That did happen to my father-in-law and they found him like 5 days later. They pretty much had given up but then they heard him in a small tree right out in the backyard. It was like he had went on his own little adventure and then he came back squawking I am ready to go in now.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Oh-how awful! The cage in the backyard makes sense, that will give him a place to come to if he does return to your yard.Can you call to him, or is there a bell in his cage that you can ring- anything that he might recognize hearing in case he is close by? Good luck with this.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that, I would agree with your friend, try putting his cage in the backyard. This has never happened to me but it has happened to a friend of mine on a couple of occasions. She has had some success with putting the cage outside and the bird returning to it.
Sending positive drool your way.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, been 2 days, still no sign at all. I've been walking Peanut and Tarquin, putting up flyers. A lady down the street stopped me on one of my walks and said she would put her 2 out in the back to see if they would attract him, that and the waterfall in the yard. That's how she got hers, they were flying around and were attracted to her waterfall! I hope so, if he doesn't come back, I really hope someone will find him and take care of him. They have to really like Dixie...that's all he whistles at the top of his lungs! Keeps us in our thoughts, we really appreciate it!!

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
When I saw your post back at the top of the list I was hoping for some good news- I saw a documentary a few months ago called (I think) The Parrots of Telegraph Hill. It talked about a flock of wild parrots which someone in the San Francisco area had become involved with, and in the closing credits gave statistics as to how many flocks of wild parrots exist in the United States. Apparantly there are a lot of them- most are escaped pets, but they seem to do OK on their own in warmer climates.I hope this is a little comfort to you. Please keep us posted; I really do hope he returns to you.

A

·
0 Posts
Thanks for the update. I have been thinking about you. I will still keep hoping he will reappear. Nice of your neighbor to help out. Good Luck! yvonne

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I had two budgies get out years ago, they came back to their cage, I had it full of food water and treats. I was so happy to see them, I think they were afraid out in the big world, and were pretty happy to see their cage too.
I sure hope your bird comes back, or some good person finds him. I'm sure you've called the local humane society too, in case some one contacts them. Please keep us updated.

Sandy

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So do I ... we (Peanut, Tarquin and I) have sadly faced the realization that Miles will not be waking us up to Dixie (off key, like me...) ever again. I finally took the cage down in the back yard, the seeds were beginning to grow...

I look and listen for him everywhere...we put flyers up at all the local pet stores, even 1 that is 4 or 5 miles away. My friend tells me that he found someone...her Dad gave me Miles and he said he would go to someone because he was tame.... Just not the same around here anymore...too quiet. We've been keeping ourselves busy by painting in the inside of the house, me with roller and brush, Peanut and Tarquin with tails and ears..will have to post pics of those...

So sad to be losing so many beloved friends this early in the year. BubbaLeroy, Toughy, Dubya Dog and beautiful Deuce the doberman! The year WILL get better! And corvuss is right, this is the best Basset community there is!
Thanks for the thoughts, drool and prayers!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts