Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start by saying that Bruno is my older male basset. He turns 4 sometime this month, we rescued him at 7 months and i have to say he is the most perfect dog I have ever had. He loves cuddles and listens so well and just overall is that perfect dog. Bruno has had no bad interactions with other dogs and after a few minutes, he gets along with them with no problem. My husband and I decided that we wanted to get a second basset because Bruno is so great. We picked up Winston Furchill (8 weeks) earlier this week and when we brought him home, we thought everything would be okay with a few rough days. However, Bruno has been not the nicest to Winnie at all. Whenever Winnie gets close, he growls and barks and scares Winnie and he pees every time. We can't even take them out at the same time because Bruno won't let him go in the backyard. I need help, I'm teaching virtually and this back and forth is kinda sucky. I can deal but I just want some help on how to help their relationship.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
I'd suggest you give it time and avoid the situation that produce this reaction from Bruno. Adults won't normally actually attack a puppy, but they know puppies have sharp teeth and so adopt an attack is the best form of defence attitude. You may have to work hard on not letting Winnie approach Bruno for now and certainly don't leave them alone together for now. That should come because usually Bassets, even with the same sex, do get along. We had our first, a male, and our second about 10 months later and thankfully we had no difficult times until we bought our foundation BITCH into the family. All was ok with her until, obviously, her first season. That was a huge learning curve until I worked out how best to deal with 'seasons'.

Try to correct the puppy rather than Bruno much as he has to allow the puppy outside fgs. Bruno isn't the one in charge - you are!!

I don't know quite where this is headed but it's a worry because eventually Winnie will get sick of what's going on, as he matures, and you may have a fight on your hands. Although I did the two male thing first, it may have been wiser to bring in a bitch rather than another male. Bruno may have been the same with a bitch puppy, but eventually when she's older, she WOULD have put him in his place!! Without a fight.

Just to say if push comes to shove, and with you having to work /teach virtually at the moment, for the sake of peace in the house again, it may be that the new puppy has to, sadly, go back. But if this is only one week in, it's well soon to call it quits. Eventually Bruno should learn to like having a companion. See how it goes for a bit longer - avoiding the situations that produce his reaction.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I totally agree, I had Honey since she was 2 months, she’s now going on to 9 months. So she’s still learning to socially interact with others properly. My sister got a new puppy 3 months ago. So Honey being the biggest (obviously she doesn’t know her weight) likes to trample or nip at the other puppy’s feet. I correct Honey because she’s needs to learn that biting isn’t acceptable to no one. But it took some time and now they more civil with each other. I’m also taking care of my older’s brother which is also a female (GIRL POWER lol) and she’s a lot older than the puppies so she does growl and tries to snap at them if they are close. Luckily she responds at when you tell her to stop or to play nice, and it took 3 weeks for them to come around. I like to call it a “pack” because in the wild they form packs and they need to know they’re place, but YOU are the one in charge so they have to know the place of leader is you, so I suggest you avoid situation where Bruno is going to snap, and teach the puppy ‘social distancing’ until both are used to each other. Multiple times I came to a predicament where I had to give one or the other puppy away but seeing them play gives you that satisfaction of fighting for that pack you want! Have patience, and most important remain calm, your energy reflects on them! I learned that along the way!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts