Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, this is not the way I wanted to start off here on this forum... we are new owners of an 11 week old basset. Today he ate a hole in the dogfood bag and ate ALOT. I called my vet and they said he should be fine, but I am still very worried. He is acting fine but his stomach is sticking out on one side and is very hard.. This happened nearly 5 hours ago. I am not sure if he has went to the bathroom yet, but he doesn't look like it. He is acting fine. Is there anything I should do? Or anything I should watch for?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Watch for restlessness, pacing, excessive drinking, excessive drooling, dry heaves. At such a young age, he probably will be okay, but keep a close eye on him.

·
Registered
773 Posts
And put the bag of food where he can't reach it! I use plastic tubs for my food, they have covers that lock into place and they're on the landing to the cellar, behind the cellar door. Basset-proofing is a daily challenge!!!

·
Registered
272 Posts
I second Aruuuu's comment..
Louie knows we keep his bag in the garage so we have to be careful he doesn't get into it. We keep a smaller amount in the cupboard in a tupperware container that he can't get into.
Hope yer little pup is alright. Just keep an eye on him and wait for the big present!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just wanted to let ya know everything is ok, our little guy is back to normal today!
I started looking for a basset back in May/June of 07 and we finaly got him on Christmas Eve. We also recently found out that we will be having our own little one..Number 3 for us, but my boys are 14 and 10..I was reading and researching all the info I could on Bassets everyday and came across this forum. I have just been sick and mind elsewhere since we got the good news. I wanted to make my profile and upload some photos before I chimed in here but then our little incident happened yesterday...I trust my vet but I wanted some advice from basset owners. I will post more later.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts