Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 10 month old bassett (male neutered) who is the noisiest dog! He whines 24/7 unless he is right next to one of us - which of course is not always possible or even desirable because if we are trying to work on some sort of project on the floor he is hardly subtle and rather intrusive. So when we put him either in the gated kitchen or outside he whines so loudly it is maddening and there is not a chewey, treat or toy on the planet that will distract him.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I used to kid and say to my husband when Ruby whined..."she just wants some cheese with that wine." ha! :lol: But then I had to stop when she leared the word cheese.

Does your basset whine for attention or want to go out? Ruby is very vocal in whining and moo-ing and will only speak (bark) when we ask her to do so.

We curbed that and other negative behaviors by taking a cleaned out soup can and putting two pennies in it and taping up the top. When she'd do something she wasn't supposed to do, we'd say NO and shake the can once . She's a quick student and learned to not do those things in a matter of a few days and this was when she was a teeny tiny puppy too. It got so good that I'd say NO and point to the can and she'd stop. We used to tease and call it her bank. We put the "bank" away after about 2 weeks a very long time ago and that was that.

We have a "whine and shine" alarm clock every morning...It's Ruby!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well - he is whining for our attention - and because he wants to come out of the kitchen and be with us. He doesn't need to go out and poddy or anything. He will hush for a short bit when you make a loud noise like that - but then starts right back up again. Please tell me he'll out grow it! :shock:

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm finding that one of the problems with frequent whining is the human tendency to ignore it. It's probably a good idea in the long run, however, in the house breaking phase it can sabotage your efforts. I have always responded to the whining with an outside trip concurrent with a reward if productive. It worked for this nine week old puppy until today. I thought it was safe to ignore her whines and paid for it. She left me two unpleasant surprises in the carpeted hallway. :cry:

Regards ....

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think some whine more than others. Speedy has been a whiner since the day he came home. (He's 10 1/2). He usually whines when he can't be right next to us or if a thunder storm is coming. We try to ignore him as long as we know he doesn't have a good reason for it. I'll tell you he has quite a reputation for being a crybaby

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
I think some whine more than others.
I think in large part it is how owners react to the dog when it whines. Dogs need an attention seeking behavior. They seek out what works. In most cases that the first behavior they happen on that is so annoying the owner can't ignore it. the Solution is 3 pronged

1. stop rewarding the annoying behavior with attention and this includes yelling at the dog to be quite. On one of the rare moments it is quite reward the dog.

2. train a less annoying attention seeking behavior, such as sittintg quitely next to you. This is easier for the dog and human. To often these more sublt cues go unnoticed and the dog seek another behavior that has a higher response rate. So it is very important to reward the dog with attention when he present the attention seek behavoir you prefer.

3. train the dog so he can be with you and not Issolated. In most case the problem behavior people site as requiring the dog to be seperated from the family can be classified as a lack of self control. Self control must be taught to the dog. It is not a natural response from them but once trained they become model citizens.

4. exercise a tired dog is a well behaved dog

some helpfull links

TEACHING SELF CONTROL

Harmony Program

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everybody

You have all helped me put some perspective on the issue - I know he does whine more than most - one of my friends has his brother who hardly whines at all but barks LOUDLY and howls - so they are different. I do walk him twice a day and after we move am planning to do some basic obedience classes with him - in the past I have used a "clicker" with my dogs...anyhow that will help.

You guys are great :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts