Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Recently my wife and I adopted Creole, he's about 3 years old. We've taken him to the vets at PetsMart and got him on the Wellness plan because I know Basset Hounds can sometimes have a lot of joint pains and ear problems or get sick quite a bit. Anyways, the vet said Creole is one of the healthiest and most well-behaved Basset Hounds he's ever seen, which was a great delight to us. He's gets along with our cat and is house trained already.

However, whenever we get home or have anyone over, he gets extremely excited and almost always lets out a little pee. We've started to conquer it by having a "time out" area that we tell him to go to whenever he looks like he is getting too excited. But sometimes, he can't help it and it comes out, or right when he's done with "time out" it happens.
It's not the worst of things to happen, because we have tiled floor. But I take him walks constantly and let him run around in our backyard to help prevent it, and it doesn't seem to have an effect, so it has gotten a little frustrating and I don't want it to start smelling like that in our house.

Also he's developed an unfortunate habit of peeing under our dining table at around 2-3am each night. We put a stop to it by shutting him in the spare bathroom at night with his bed. Using bleach to clean the floor then go over it with the Swiffer. He never does it unless we give him free reign of the house throughout the night. Is there something that might have caused this little lapse in his potty training at night? I usually go to bed around midnight and walk him right before then, so it has me a little baffled.

Thank you all for the help!

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Excitement urination has nothing to do with how much he's peed before, and no, he can't help it. I would suggest making coming and going less exciting (stay matter of fact and calm) and ignoring the peeing. If someone is coming over, put him out or in his crate until he's had a chance to calm down. And obedience training can help you to teach him alternate, calm behaviors and self-restraint.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I agree with soundtrack. I have found that it's all in the training. It's a great idea to have the time out spot, but you may want to look into some different kind of training, like almost convincing him that doing tricks, or holding still and not jumping and being excited is a trick and that may help him hold his control better.
It may be something you can work on. At least he's happy! *LOL*
As for the nighttime peeing, he may just need to go out and finds that the spot under the table is just the right place *rolls eyes*
Is it more of a long pee, or is it marking (small squirted amount)?
Maybe a midnight trip outside would help prevent this. Or a doggy door!

If it's marking it's going to have to be maybe a little bit more bleach. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Penny is the same age and does the same thing. We started ignoring her whenever we come in and now shes to the point where when we get home and let her out, she knows to go straight to the door to go outside for potty. When others come over, we tell them to ignore her until she calms down. We also introduce new people to her outside if we can just in case. She's getting much better but she'll always have the problem. We came to figure out that she was abused as a puppy so we think that might be why she never grew out of peeing while exciting.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Cute name! Watch Creole's water intake before bed, and use a strong vinegar/water solution to clean up the pee. It will neutralize the odor better, and he'll be less inclined to go back to the same spot to go.

·
Registered
13,055 Posts
an alternative is to hafve the dog greet guest outside the house before they come in. Door bell rings put leash on dog. Take dog out side to greet guest. if accident occurs no big deal and no clean up. The reduction of stress on the human worring about if the dog is or is not going to "leak" can have an effect on the dog and increase its stress level as well making a leak more likely.

If you do a searh on this site using impulse control as keyword besides impulse control exercise there should be links as well to article in teach the dog to relax and remain calm.

Is there something that might have caused this little lapse in his potty training at night?
Is this actual a lapse in training? was there a time this did not happen on a consistent basis?

somethings to consider where is the dog when the excitment urination normally occurs is it near the table leg? Linger urine odor for dog is a signal that it is ok to pee here. You may want to consider using a black light to find any linger urine stains and using an ezymatic type cleaner to eliminate residuals and odors.

If this did not occur in the past has something changed. A change in schedule or routine can cause such a behaviorial change.

Housetraining Your Puppy
A 12 wk puppy who is busy playing may need to urinate every 15-20 minutes, whereas a resting puppy might go for an hour, and a sleeping puppy can go 8 hours at night. Activity makes urine! Activity makes urine! Repeat this 10 times, slowly. This is a very important lesson for new puppy owners.

So it is possible that by wakeing the dog up at midnight you create a propblem that would not exist otherwise. If the dog gets up at midnight but instead of going back to bed wanderst the house and is active it is likely that it would need to go again a 2 or 3 in the morning but allowed to sleep through not have a problem..

We put a stop to it by shutting him in the spare bathroom at night with his bed
If he is like 99.9999% pf all basset he would be much happier in your bedroom rather than the spare.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I wish I had a nickle for every time my cocker spaniel has pee'd when he got excited. I'd be one rich woman!

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
He never does it unless we give him free reign of the house throughout the night.
Ummm, yeah, that's why i'm not given free reign of the house at nite. my peeples say that's because of my predecessor weiner dog who got free reign of the house at nite. one day, they took a black light & found all these places he peed & they didn't even know it!

they think he peed at night when he was able to roam around. cause then it dries somewhat & doesn't look like a wet spot so much in the morning. anyway, because HE did that, I'M not allowed to roam at night. how fair is that?? (gripe, gripe)

and they put a comfy mesh 'sleeping' harness on me and a soft leash at nite when i sleep on their bed, so they know if i go off the bed (i have doggy stairs). they were afraid i'd pee on the carpet in the bedroom at nite, but i haven't yet.

is there some inbetween solution so he doesn't have to be in the bathroom at night, but also not having free roam? if he sleeps in ur bedroom, why not just close the door? my person says she would not let a dog sleep unsupervised in the house after the weenie dog peeing around the place at nite like that.
--Worm

1 - 8 of 8 Posts