Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have to say that i think that Dean is correct with what he is saying.i feel that the person was given some good advice,but if people are not going to listen to what you say than what else can you do but help them than.some times no matter what you do, what precautions you take ,dogs do what dogs do!!! make little dogs!!! now there are things that should be looked at.Now if the dogs did bred and all the pups were healthy and went to good homes and stayed there until thier time on this world was over... that is the perfect case,but since we do not live in a perfect world things like this don't always happen.maybe we as caretakers of these animals should be more helpful with people in there questions.How? if we live in the area maybe we can meet them and look at there dog if they like,to see if the dog meets the "STANDARD" set forth by the AKC/BHCA if not tell them the dogs faults what to look for in a Stud/Brood Bitch to help get a better quality of puppy.Take them under our wing and educate tell them the pro's and cons.Pro's cute little puppies...Con's the chance that some pups will be deformed and HAVE to be culled,losing your bitch during the delivery of the pups,if that happens all the sleep you lose feeding pups every 2 hours or so by hand for about 3 weeks straight etc.,etc.In closing i would like to say that i feel honored to be a part of this Breed and have a lot of respect for the people involved in all aspect of it.Rescue and Fosters...i hold you in the highest esteem because you deal with dogs that for some reason or another people give up or have them taken away from them,and it's up to you to try to make them feel wanted again.I also would like to say that i feel good when someone says i'm a good breeder,well that is very far from the truth...i personally have never bred any dogs at all,i have been around a whole lot of litters be it from my parents dogs or my Aunt and Uncle's dogs or some of my cousin's breedings.i do not at this time in my life have the time to breed dogs, life is to busy,but from people like Dean,John Meahl,Jeff Pettit,Fred Atwater,Les Crelin,and my Father, Joe Milko,and a lot of reading and listening and helping.i have gained a lot of knowledge,and i'm still learning and hope i never stop.i do think that if and when i breed some dogs that i'll just post the pictures and keep them all here for myself :D if anyone wants my help ask i've helped others b/4 and i'll help in the future.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Originally posted by pinehawk:
if people are not going to listen to what you say than what else can you do but help them
Totally disagree. There's no excuse for enabling abusers, which is how I see irresponsible breeders. If the deed is already done and some ignorant fool in over his head needs help, Miriam is very good about helping out bassets that are already in harm's way. But there's no reason in the world to encourage irresponsible breeding before it happens. :mad:

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not encouraging, educate, show them there mistakes before hand if possible.if the mistake is already made you can't change that,but i would still help,if asked for it.

A

·
0 Posts
Billy, I've done rescue for years. There are those humans that listen, and take to heart, and there are those that blah, blah, blah. That's why I don't do rescue any more. You can talk till you are blue in the face about the problems and fixtures and they just don't listen. Same as breeding. Blah, blah, blah. If you don't have an open, want to be educated mind, forgettaboutit! It's so frustrating. I am involved in the Basset world on so many different levels, and I'm not an expert. Just totally dedicated. As all of you know that know me. I'm no saint. I just love these dogs to the end of the earth. Take care, Belinda.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
There was someone on here several weeks ago whose pup was pregnant. Of course, she'd been on here looking for advice some time back and pretending she hadn't already intentionally bred the pup.

Well, that pup is now dead. The pup is dead because she was tied out and got loose. That's not the first time I've seen that sort of thing happen with these people who show up here wanting all kinds of information (but none of the pain of actually doing it right). And it certainly won't be the last.

I'm not a breeder, never have been and never will be. But if I were, I sure wouldn't want to be party to something like what happened to the pregnant pup who was tied out and "got loose" (sheesh). And yes, I know, sometimes dogs get loose and accidents happen --- but, hey, do ya see a pattern here? A pattern of not benign neglect? A few too many oh gees oopsies! with bad consequences with some dogs?

So that's why I think Betsy's right on mark when she says she refuses to enable it. Because enabling is exactly what it is.

See, not everyone is willing or even psychologically able to care for other creatures. And not everyone acknowledges or even realizes dogs are not just sentient beings, but very special beings who form quite amazing bonds with us. Some people can't quite wrap their heads around that --- or they just don't care --- they just want some money or whatever.

And I know I would never want to be a party to helping someone like that breed.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Thanks for the clarification, Billy. :) I agree that it's far easier to educate people who do their research before making a decision to breed.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
in my demented mind that's what i'm saying!!! most people who are looking for pets could care less about conformation,scenting ability,LOOKS,proper front end, good top lines etc.they just want a "Cute Puppy" so as i think about it more you really can't blame some people for trying to CASH IN on the breeding game,when you have buyers that don't give a damn and just want a PUPPY!!! Money!!! we all need it but at what price to the breed. MAYBE the BUYERS need to be educated in what they should be looking for.I deal with people that are in the BHCA and some that are not and if i get a pup from either person,there is no difference,in the dogs looks for the most part and the dogs scenting ability,as for conformation i feel the field dogs are getting much better because with out it they cannot run all day when you go hunting they will not tire as fast.Now we still have a way to go before all our field dogs start to DOMINATE in the SHOW RING,but there are a couple starting to trickle in!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Hey, I agree with you there, too! It would be great to be able to educate buyers who aren't just making an impulse purchase. :) The good thing about the internet is that all sorts of useful information, from health issues to responsible breeding vs. BYBs/puppymills, is now widely available and easily accessible. :)

Edited to add, there are some very nice dual purpose bassets and several DC's in the northwest. Would love to see them dominate in the show ring across the US, but I fear it won't happen because, as a recently departed member :(

[ October 01, 2005, 07:43 PM: Message edited by: Betsy Iole ]

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
there is one dog out west that i have seen run out East before it went West.unless i see the others run for there "Champ" title and if they trial the way i heard the Nationals were run out there,i feel a little suspect on the Title dual champ.i hope i was told wrong on how things were out there.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My Bette's grandpa on her dad's side is a DC. I read that there are only something like 8 Basset DC's and that it's pretty hard to come by. Is this true?

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Three of Buffet's grandparents are DC's. There's a breeder in the Pacific Northwest who has had 5 DC's. So, while the DC title is uncommon, there are more than 8. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts