Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow basseteers!

We have taken the plunge!! Watty is getting a permanent brother! We are picking him up Saturday from his foster mom's home. You can see our new fella here:

http://bellyrubs.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=115&dogid=20213901&shelterid=TN568

I don't think he's full basset but we adore him all the same! He's a little thing, too -- less than 30 pounds at 8 months. Here's where we need help -- this guy needs a name!

We're not keeping Snoopy, and we'd like to keep with the literary theme (something to do with Sherlock Holmes would be great). We don't like Sherlock, or Holmes. We've considered Doyle (as in, Arthur Conan Doyle), and Arty (short for Moriarty, Holmes' archenemy). I know y'all are creative and inventive -- let's hear them all!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
As a fellow memphian, we would be remiss if we did not suggest you use Baskerville.

Former Memphis State Tiger basketball great (1985 Final Four) and from the book Hound of the Baskervilles, which is where his mother got his name.

Food for thought.
~E

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
btw, we were looking at that guy online JUST TODAY
I love how his body hasn't caught up with his head yet!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Esther -- he is SO sweet, you'll have to meet him! We considered Baskerville, too, but not really sure how to make that into a day-to-day name... Basker? Basky? It's a bit long and cumbersome as the full name. I didn't realize naming a pup would be this complicated!

·
Registered
697 Posts
Baker - Sherlock Holmes lived at 221B Baker street! [Another bit of useless information dredged from somewhere in my brain!]

·
Registered
767 Posts
We like the name Gunner. Maggie and Daisy

·
Registered
183 Posts
Gladstone was the name of his bulldog.
Basil (Rathbone) was one of the actors that played Sherlock Holmes.
Mycroft was Sherlock's brother.

I kinda like Basil! Doesn't sound too silly when you're yelling it out the door!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Well you could always go with Henry or Hugo Baskerville, or even Mortimer!
Sure is a cutie! I like the dappled coat on him!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Love his coloring! What a handsome guy! Really like the name Bugsy...or Arthur...or Boswell...Dante, Gulliver, Emerson, Huck...

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
An infamous exit on the major interstate running through Kentucky is the Waddy/Peytona exit. So as soon as I saw Watty, I thought of Peytona. If you lived in Kentucky, people would pee their pants whenever you said their names! However, since you don't live in Kentucky and you want to keep with the sherlock holmes theme, I say go with Arty. You need a name that has hard consonants in it, and Doyle doesn't have any. Congratulations! He's awfully cute!

·
Registered
608 Posts
He looks a lot like my last dog which was a basset/border collie mix. Snoopy does look slightly more basset though. Is he definately a mix?

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Haha, melikes the name Snoopy for ur dog, too, he kinda looks like one :)

but yeah, i get the Sherlock Holmes theme ya got going, that's fun too!
I second Basil. When my person was young, she read "Basil of Baker Street," the Great Mouse Detective. I think they turned it into a movie:

Basil is the mouse Sherlock Homes, & his sidekick Mr. Dawson, the mouse Watson ;) So Dawson's another thought too. What about Scotland Yard? Scot or Scotty for short...

let us know what ur bro ends up with, Watson!
--your friend,
Worm

my peeple had a fun time naming me, came up w/a list...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Loving these suggestions! He-human favors Doyle, but I'm not so convinced yet. I like Sherman (a character from one of the books).. or Baker.. or Conan. Although, I don't want people to think we named him after Conan O'Brien. (Nothing against him, I just don't want the misconception...)

I'm not 100% sure he's a mix. He was rescued from a shelter, so there's really no telling. His ears aren't super long and he's fairly small... I've also never seen a black-and-white basset (although I'm sure it's happened before!). So I think he's a slight mix, although he appears to be mostly basset.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts