Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im a new member glad to be a part love bassets I have two one is about a year and a half the other is 11 months almost a year, started them on a rabbit scent drag they did good with that then introduced them to a cottontail I have, I put him in a roll cage and they went nuts Ive ben gradually laying all kinds of trails and they can find him pretty easy, but they still wont open up on scent alone only when they find him in the roll cage and also I dont have a big enough yard to even let them sight chase cuz im worried thell catch him and kill him any suggetions will be really helpfull thanks!

·
Registered
797 Posts
First - where are you located -- second check www. bassetnet.com
-- home page of the American Hunting Basset Association -- a registry for hunting bassets -- we hold non-kill hunts for bassets and any member would be happy to help training pups -- we will have 2 hunts in Windsor NY this coming weekend. non-registered and neutered hounds are welcome
You might be able to join a beagle club and try running rabbits there and possibly get some help
If you are close enough, we could run at my club in PA
Dean Wickwire - Glenmoore, PA 19343 -- 610-942-2840

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey Im from arizona so it is so difficult to to find anybody who hunts with any kind of hounds and there are certainly no clubs out here even trying to buy stuuff for hunting dogs at hunting stores out here is like pullen teeth. Ive ben to that website you recomended didnt really help. but thanks for the info and I really appreciate your invite if I live any wear near you I would take you up on that. So thanks again any other info or tips would be great. happy hunting

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
. Ive ben to that website you recomended didnt really help.
Check out and make use of the forum section of the web site,.

I have two one is about a year and a half the other is 11 months almost a year
You will find that bassets are often slower to mature and open when compared to beagles,. and you need to give it time but that not all dogs will open on scent alone

I dont have a big enough yard to even let them sight chase cuz im worried thell catch him and kill him
then its time to either find a local beagle club that will let you join and use a starter pen or start working in the great outdoors on your own. I think you are asking a bit much for the dogs to open without the experience of the chase.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey thanks for the input and ya I have to agree that it is asking to much for them to open up when they havent even had a chase. The one thing I dont understand though is you said sometimes basset wont ever open up if thats true then how does that help me in the field. Because from what I understand is that one when they open up they are telling you the hunter there on one and two u get a sense of where the rabbit is running and the dogs. maybe i miss understood. but thanks again and there has to be places around me I can find to let jump one, so ill definatly take your advice and head there. Thanks

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
The one thing I dont understand though is you said sometimes basset wont ever open up if thats true then how does that help me in the field.
Never said it was a good thing. When it come to how tight mouthed or open mouthed a dog should be their will be a large variety of opinions, I think many biased by how their particular dog runs. There are many overly tight lips dogs do not open on scent but will open on sight chases.
just as being too tight mouthed is not a desirable trait neither is being to loose and opening on very old scents as well where the hope of actually producing a rabbit is practically nil.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Just checked an old BHCA list and there is a baset hound club in Mesa, AZ ---Valle Del Sol Basset Hound Club----602-323-5682
Probably just a show breeder club, but there might be some people interested in field work

1 - 7 of 7 Posts