Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so this is how house training is going. any advice? last night was a hair puller he went pee in the house 4 times in about a hour.

Attachments

·
Registered
761 Posts
Have you thought about using a crate to help? It made it a lot easier for us to house train Virga. Just search old posts to learn about crate training. How old is Trooper? Is he neutered?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Goodness...that picture reminds me of Annie's baby dog years. I carpeted my floor with those piddle pads and she would find the one square inch that I hadn't covered and make a nice PP right there....or for a really fun time she'd do a brand new puppy loose #2 in the open patch of carpet at 3am. It was all my fault though...she was sleeping in a crate and would cry to be let out for potty and I'd let her go right there on the floor. I should have gotten my lazy rear end up and taken her outside.

So my advice...get the Trooper a crate and when he needs to P, take him outside where he is expected to go :) It gets easier...I promise.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
we have a crate but he just uses it to sleep. we cant shut him in cause he we are still living in a aparment where we are not allowed to have dogs. think the only reason he we havent got evicted yet is beacuse he is quiet, he freaks out when you shut him in. he is 16 weeks. not fixed

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Oh, how frustrating.

My advice would be: follow him like a hawk every waking moment and interrupt him when he pees. if you startle him and he stops, good. pick him up and take him outside or wherever you want him to pee, and he can finish. if he doesn't stop once he starts, shove a piddle pad under him or a tub or something to catch the pee. anyway, when he finishes, do the same, pick him up & put him in the spot u want him to go.

whenever you can't watch him like a hawk (literally his every footstep), put him in the crate.

We did that with Worm and were tired for the 1 to 1 1/2 months. but it paid dividends. he had about a half dozen accidents total. he is very good about not peeing in the house and uses a bell to go out these days. once he figured it out, he was good and no more accidents. but i did get him at 4 months, so he might be a little older than Trooper (and have better bladder control).

the other hint is it can be confusing if doing piddle pads. easier if very clear cut (ie. going outside vs. no going inside). that is from experience from a wienie dog where we put newspaper in the kitchen where he could go. he did get confused and peed all over the house and not really ever fully housetrained (ie. rainy days he would pee in the house. every so often he would pee/mark the sofa and coffee table...) we are having much more success w/Worm so far (and happy about it).

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
1) Throw out the piddle pads. Why train him to pee in the house?
2) Follow him around and supervise at all times. You will begin to know the signs he is about to pee - immediately take him outside and reward him for peeing outside.
3) Crate/confine him when you can't supervise. Leash him to you if necessary.
4) If he does make a mistake, take a rolled-up newspaper and whack yourself over the head with it for not watching him closely enough.

Why would you get a dog in a building where they are not allowed?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Is it a problem for you to take him outside because you live where they don't allow dogs? Are you looking for another place to live? Houstraing is goning to be a bitch untill you are someplace you can do this openly.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
1) Throw out the piddle pads. Why train him to pee in the house?
2) Follow him around and supervise at all times. You will begin to know the signs he is about to pee - immediately take him outside and reward him for peeing outside.
3) Crate/confine him when you can't supervise. Leash him to you if necessary.
4) If he does make a mistake, take a rolled-up newspaper and whack yourself over the head with it for not watching him closely enough.

Why would you get a dog in a building where they are not allowed?
omg i almost spit when I read this.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well always wanted a basset, was looking forever couldnt find any, then i found this little guy finally in newspaper. we were planning on moving anyways so we when and picked him up. 2 days after getting him i lost my job. naw we can take him outside. i usually shut the gate and let him run around just have to make sure landlord's truck isnt around. we never wanted to train him on piddle pads we bought those later. alot of the time he wont give me a warning at all. like he will put his front feet on couch, then start peeing. or he will sit down not in a pee squat and start peeing. and nothing breaks his attention once he starts peeing.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yowsa! Good luck. I don't know how we would have done it without the crate. Maybe (and this is just a thought, not firm advice) you could get a gate (like this one)for the kitchen and put his bed/crate in there. Make the kitchen his bedroom. They don't want to go where they sleep and you can make a small area that he starts to associate as his bed area (if that is possible in your place). Then, when you want to take him out of that area- for any reason- first stop should be outside to relieve himself, always always always. It looks like (from the picture) that you're letting him sleep with you. Which is great and I can't say that isn't the most wonderful thing in the world, but maybe having him sleep in a more confined space (sans crate) will be better for your carpet in the long run? I'm thinking he might be less noisy if he's not in the crate, but at some point, he's going to have to be in a controlled environment without making a fuss or your landlord will find out.

I'm just trying to think of how you could trick his brain into a schedule of peeing. Once you have that nailed, letting him sleep in your bed again should yield similar results. I know Fergus did not associate our bedroom with his bed at all and was fond of using it as a bathroom for a long time.

These guys are hard to housebreak and I'm sorry that you're in a situation that makes it hard to use the crate. Best of luck!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea he slept in the bed with us for awhile and he has never pee'd on the bed. but now he is big enough he will jump down on his own, go pee the whine to get back on the bed. last night was a sucsess he slept in his kennel with door open. i set alarm for 330. got up, carried him downstairs, let him pee put him back in his kennel and he then woke me up at 7:00 o'clock this morning to go back out. so i guess we will continue like this until he can hold it all night

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
All dogs are different-- having said that, at 4 months, i was happy to discover our first nights together that Worm could hold it all night without an accident, in the crate. He came with fleas so he had to be in the crate (not my bed!) for the first month.

After the flea problem, i let him sleep on my bed, but always have a harness & leash on him (the leash is looped around my wrist). in fact, he has a mesh one that's more comfy than his usual, which we call his 'sleeping harness.' be careful that if using a collar, that he can't choke if he tried to jump off the bed (that is why we use a harness and not a collar). anyway, the whole reason is so that i would know if he came off the bed, i would wake up and know he is awake and sniffing around (probably to use the bathroom).

Also, i definitely take him out when he acts like he needs to go. most nights he doesn't, but on his birthday party night this weekend, he ate too much and had loose stools at 3am, 6am, 10am. yep, unhappy but glad that there were no accidents in the bedroom.

you seem to have a good solution going now. if you closed the door to the crate, you would definitely know he's not having accidents in the middle of the night.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
went pee in the house 4 times in about a hour.
keep in mind for an active dog that is not unusual activity creates urine.

Housetraining Your Puppy
12 wk puppy who is busy playing may need to urinate every 15-20 minutes, whereas a resting puppy might go for an hour, and a sleeping puppy can go 8 hours at night. Activity makes urine! Activity makes urine! Repeat this 10 times, slowly. This is a very important lesson for new puppy owners.

Bassets are natoriously slow to house train IMHO it is because they are slow to mature in the area of sphincter control. they simply can not hold it. I have never seen a basset housrained before six months of age (house training is a lot more than simply a lack of accidents wich is simply on of the first steps) and 1 year is more typical.

IMHO a strict schedual makes it much easier to house train a puppy by putting everything on a schedual eating, drinking sleep and play the dog puppy is a lot more predictable makeing it a lot easier to avoid accidents. another area where House training often breaks down is a signal/cue for the dog to use Rather than hope the dog finds a signal that you don;t ignore many if not most find it supstantially easier to teach a signal in the first place see
http://www.clickersolutions.com/articles/2001b/bell.htmHouse Training: Ring My Bell!

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
the one thing not mentioned is schedual and this is not just food but water, sleeping and play. When they are all on a schedule it will make when the dog has to go more predictable. Agin no sure how much a basset the dog is but bassets are natoriously hard to house train I have never seen on truely house trained before six months and 1 year is more typical keep in mind a lack of accidents is not an indication of house train but simply the first step

you mententon the dog og 4 time in an hour that would be every 15 minutes, If the dog was up active and playing that is actual commendably long time with 10 minutes being more common. In puppy and all dogs activity creates urine when the dog is active it need to go out more often. The dismay we often hear is he went just 10 minutes after cooming inside duh yea that what a puppies cappacity is when it is active. Be proactive, and when the playing with the puppy take him out every 10 minutes and save the foors.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts