Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cry: Moe has developed yet ANOTHER infection. This one is near his anal opening. It's swollen, red, and seeping pus. He's STILL ON anitbiotics - HOW can he get another infection? He was fine this morning but when I got home from work he was licking furiously at the area. :roll: Poor Moe!!! I dragged out the e-collar, applied hot compresses, and covered the area with anitbiotic ointment. He's miserable (but not so miserable he didn't try to eat both his AND Tally's dinner, flipping her bowl upside down with his collar and making a big mess :roll: ).

Questions: What size "Bite Not" collar would I get for him? Is sizing a Basset different from sizing an average dog? Moe's neck measures 22-23 inches and he weighs seventy-two pounds but the sizing info says that a dog over seventy pounds should get the collar that is 27 inches. ???? I don't know what to do but I want to order a Bite NOT collar tonight. I can't bear to see him wearing the e-collar... bumping into things, spilling food and water (what if he spills it in the daytime when it gets hot and he can't drink till I get hime?), bumping into furniture and getting caught on stairs. If he goes outside he could lose an eye if he gets caught on branches and bushes. Also, it must be very uncomfortable when it gets hot. Help please!

Terry :cry:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Poor Moe!!!! I wish I could help with the collar sizing but I just wanted to wish Moe well and a speedy recovery for a difficult injury!!! Have you called your vet? I would because different antibotics treat different infections and if there is a new infection he might need different antibotics. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He has an apointment tomorrow morning... we were just there last Thursday! :roll:

Terry :cry:

M

·
0 Posts
Poor Moe!! Terry is still have my German Shepherd's bite not in the attic somewhere!! I will try to find it. I remember the phone number for the company was on the collar (I think somewhere). I called and got great assistance from them. I will post the phone number ASAP. The hard part will be finding the collar in the attic. It worked great for him because he too could reach his anus. He has his anal glands removed after years of infection and he COULD NOT lick so the collar was so much better because it didn't obstruct his vision too much. I will post later.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Moe has an infected sebatious(sp?) cyst. The doctor squeezed out an incredible amount of cottage cheesy gunk and changed his anitbiotics to a stronger one due to the location of the wound and the chance of further infection (near his rectum). Moe took it like a man (better than I would have) and is happily sleeping on is bed now. I asked the vet about the "Bite Not" collars. He agreed that it may be more comfortable but fitting them is difficult, which is why they no longer keep them in stock. He advised me not to order through the catalog I have, but to find a store that has them (perhaps Petco or Petsmart?), so that I can try them on him before buying.

On the down side, the doctor told me to expect more frequent visits to the vet's office due to infected or ruptured cysts, some of which may require surgical removal. He showed me one that may possibly be a problem in the very near future. He is literally COVERED in cysts of varrying sizes. We may have frequent need of a comfortable collar in the not-too-distant future... Poor Moe!

We'll deal with what comes, when it comes. Right now he's a relatively happy guy and I don't want to spend my time worrying about what hasn't happened yet...

Terry

·
Registered
219 Posts
Poor Moe!!! I'm proud of him for taking it like a man, Jackie had to have her anal glands expressed the other day at the vet and I'm afraid she didn't have such a good reaction!!! What a delicate area to have to poke around, I hope the new meds do just the trick and Moe is back to doing backflips in no time. :lol:

M

·
0 Posts
Terry: I sent my Husband up in the attic to search for the collar. It is no where to be found. He denies getting rid of it when we relocated here from PA to FL. I think he tossed it! I KNOW the phone number was inside the collar because I called them and spoke in lenght with them. I called my kids Vet and she doesn't keep one in stock. I will look myself in the attic but it seems like it's gone for good. I would measure Moe from behind the ears to the base of the neck and go with the suggested size. You could email them and ask for a reply perhaps requesting their phone number??? It might be worth a try. I'm sorry I can't be of more help but the collar really was much better than an E collar. I also checked out the list of suppliers Bite Not has on their website. Jeffers is the cheapest. Good Luck!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Terry, I have no advice on the collar but I want to wish you and Moe a lot of luck. This must be soooo frustrating to you guys!

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the sympathy! And thanks for trying Maggie's Mommy... I'll figure out what size to get sooner or later. Perhaps I can make a cardboard model of the sizes to try on Moe...

Moe is much improved today and even managed to get the e-collar off while no one was home. :roll: We left it off tonight and he was pretty good. He hates that collar so much that he is actually listening to us - if we see him licking his sore spot and we tell him "NO" he stops immediately (moaning and groaning in protest but he IS listening). I'm much improved, too. I hate it when he's not happy!

Terry :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts