Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys!

I just was wondering if you could help me in my problems regarding hound dog breeding...I have already search about it for a days now and I have already gather data about it...But still I think my knowledge now isn't enough yet...I am still seeking information...That is why I always visited dog related forums like this to have more information...I know that advice from an experienced dog owner will be a great help for me...
I am looking forward for this...Thanks!

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
There are so many back yard breeders out there, adding to the dog over-population problem and producing bassets with all kinds of health and genetic problems- please don't become a part of this problem.

If you truly want to breed bassets to make the breed better and not to make money, you need to attend dog shows, find a mentor, and be willing to do the hard work of learning what breeding is about.

So my advice to you would be to find someone in your area who is a reputable breeder- someone who shows their bassets and is concerned with the betterment of the breed rather thatn someone who is making puppies to make money- and start educating yourself about breeding by talking to that person.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm new to this forum, but I just wanted to say: excellent advice!!!

There are so many back yard breeders out there, adding to the dog over-population problem and producing bassets with all kinds of health and genetic problems- please don't become a part of this problem.

If you truly want to breed bassets to make the breed better and not to make money, you need to attend dog shows, find a mentor, and be willing to do the hard work of learning what breeding is about.

So my advice to you would be to find someone in your area who is a reputable breeder- someone who shows their bassets and is concerned with the betterment of the breed rather thatn someone who is making puppies to make money- and start educating yourself about breeding by talking to that person.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I whole heartedly agree!

I have a rescue from one of these "backyard breeders" and he is just a mess! Double hip displeysia, fiddle front, so much pain in his back hips that he carries all his weight on the front legs and is just a train wreck of orthopedic problems to be dealt with the rest of his life. I am happy to say my vet closed that breeder down after seeing this dog. Please don't add more dogs to suffer the fate of my precious little boy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts