21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Very nice pictures.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Such cute pictures. This is so sad. I'm so sorry and I hope you will enjoy the time you have left with her and give her anything she want's. What a cute girl.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
What sweet pics, Bebe, of u and ur family. Did ya really put ur arm on Ellie like that (or did the humans make ya do it)...?? hee hee, just hadta ask. it looks really cute either way. Me also likes ur barbells/dumbbell toy :) Ya seem to have a very nice doggie sister & human sister too.
--Worm

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
It saddens me to say that Bebe has lost her fight. My wife and I had to make the decision yesterday to have her put to sleep after we found her in our back yard in a non-responsive state.

She had a good weekend and in an odd sort of way, she did each of the things that she enjoys the most, one last time. It was almost like she was checking them off of a list.

She spent 1/2 a day on my daughter's bed. (she hasn't done that in several months)
She squeeked her favorite toy (she hasn't done that in a long time because of her jaw problem)
She chased a squirrel (again, not in months)
She walked around the block with us.

She took one last taste of each thing that she loved the most and then she said good bye. We are just devastated. We never expected it to be this quick. There is a huge hole in our family and she will be missed for years to come.

She was truly the best dog I've ever had and I've had many over my years. She was loving and sweet and was a trooper through all of this.

Bebe
2001-2011

·
Registered
697 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. Thinking about you at this horrible time but i am sure Bebe is watching over you and is so thankful for everything you gave her.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
It is wonderful that she got to do her favorite things one more time before heading off to the bridge.

We are soo sorry for your loss.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
I’m so sorry to read that Bebe lost her battle. I cry with and for you in your loss. I’ve asked my Flasher to look out for her and help her find her way on the other side.

When I lost my Flasher, someone told me once – remember the good days and not the last day. And I have to say it helped. After a few weeks of losing her I was searching out a poem for a friend that lost hers – and I found the two in the below link that made me feel like Flash came back to talk to me. It’s too soon right now I’m sure, but maybe in a while if you read them, I hope they bring you a little of the comfort they brought to me.

http://www.basset.net/boards/genera...4294-new-journey-begins-girl-named-mabel.html

She was a beautiful girl.

Jen~

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
This is very late but I am so sorry. I just found this trying to catch up since I have not been around much for about 2 months.

It will take awhile but it well get better with time. I hope your other girl is doing ok and I wish you would keep us updated on her and how you are doing. Lots of prayers and happiness going out to you.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Oh no, somehow I didn't see this update either on Bebe :(

so sorry to hear about losing Bebe. It is so hard. Your kids & Ellie must be sad-- hope Ellie is doing ok, esp. You did so much for her when she first started having problems, to help her & try to figure out what was wrong. She is truly loved by you and always will be.
--hugs & drool

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Our sympathy on the loss of your girl.

It IS wonderful she got to do/eat her favorite things just one more time.

(Sorry, I somehow missed this when posted.)

·
Registered
767 Posts
Sorry we missed the last post also. Hope you are all doing well and Bebe has no more pain. She was a special girl.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
Here's a final update on this thread: If you've read the above posts, you know that we lost our sweet girl Bebe in October 2011. It was a devastating blow to our family. We still think about Bebe often and the pain is still there. But life has an interesting way of filling the voids left by loss. The loss of Bebe was especially hard on my wife as Bebe was originally her dog as a puppy. So after her passing, I never pushed my wife to get another dog. I felt that the best thing was to give her space and time. If she wanted another dog eventually, she'd let me know. Well, that day came earlier this year. I noticed her scouting around the rescue sites and asked her about it. She said that she was considering another dog but she didn't want a puppy. She wanted to rescue a dog in honor of Bebe's memory. So we started looking and found a fantastic Basset and Bloodhound rescue about 6 hours away in Scottsboro, AL. We found a Bassett we were interested in, made the calls and ended up going to pick her up. Purely by coincidence, her name is Phoebe, we didn't name her, but it is strikingly similar to Bebe. We took that as a sign that Phoebe was for us. Phoebe was abandoned, rescued, adopted, surrendered, and then we adopted her. Her previous adoption didn't work out because the family ended up having a child who was allergic to dogs. Phoebe has the most fantastic personality. She is active, loving, and a total mush. If you come within 5 feet of her, she rolls over for a belly rub. It doesn't matter if you were just walking from one room to the next, she doesn't care. Anyway, here are the pics.

So while Phoebe is not a replacement for our dear Bebe, she is a wonderful addition to our family.

And here are a couple of Ellie for good measure:

·
Registered
931 Posts
Aw bless! Pheobe is gorgeous and congratulations to you and your wife. Some things are kismet! . tx

·
Registered
637 Posts
I just read this entire thread from the beginning and am wiping the tears away from my eyes. Thank you for sharing your story.

·
Registered
790 Posts
So nice to hear you were able to open your heart once again. Phoebe is beautiful and it's so nice you have found each other. I hope you have a long and happy life together :)

21 - 40 of 44 Posts