Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are Mole holes in the backyard, as well as other small game animals that pass through (rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks, etc).

My Basset, Maddie is digging holes so deep she can fit half her body in them! I've walked her over to the holes before filling them in and telling her no. This hasn't worked (yes, I know shes EXTREMELY stubborn).

She is tracking mud through the screenroom/kitchen and rest of the house before I catch her sometimes.

She has always dug in the yard, but never so consistently and such deep holes. Are the moles throwing her off? Something else? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-Maddie's Pops

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
What worked for my hounds was filling the holes with poop.
Or perhaps give her her own digging area/sandbox?

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
If it is vermin controling the grub population in the lawn will send the critters else where looking for food.

·
Registered
774 Posts
My Chihuahua digs for grubs. She will walk around nose to ground then start digging like mad, she comes up crunching happily on a big ole grub. Grosses me out! Our Basset and our other dog just watch her, occasionally they'll join in a bit but so far the Basset hasn't found digging too exciting.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

I am taking care of the moles in the backyard with the help of a local pest control company. Hopefully this gets rid of them. I am sure Maddie smells the moles, that basset nose!

I am also fixing all the holes and trails they made in the yard so Maddie won't be prone to dig them even more then they are.

Lately with it raining she has stopped digging and with some breaks in the weather she kind of forgot about the digging. Hopefully this lasts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts