Basset Hounds Forum banner

Help need less expensive food

9K views 23 replies 20 participants last post by  webertiffany933 
#1 ·
We were feeding Blue Buffalo when we had the 3 amigos. Then we adopted Carly and now might foster another Basset for LVBR so need to find a less expensive food to feed all 5. Anyone have good results with any of the less expensive foods. None are on special diets but we're not close to any feed stores or things like that. I have to drive into another state to get any type of dog food.

#4 ·
I buy all my dog food (wet & dry) off Amazon...free shipping over $25.00. There are several other dog food sites that ship free (have to spend a certain amount). Have found that it's much cheaper that way and that the expiration date is alot longer. Bought some in town and got home and looked at date....had one month to go before expired...I have absolutely no complaints doing it this way....save money and much more convenient....

#6 ·
The problem with dog food is it is sold by the pound but wi dole out by the cup and not all foods have the same physical density let alone calories ber cup sit it very diffuclt to assess what actual is a cheaper food to feed. That $25 bag that you feed three time as much is no bargain. I general find it cheaper to feed High protein High fat content food even though the bag is more expensive because you feed less and the bag lasts longer.

#9 ·
I remember some folk saying that the food you get at Costco, Kirkland brand, is pretty good. I'd imagine that would be fairly cost friendly.
Yep, we feed the Kirkland Lamb, Rice and Veggie. I'm in Canada, so pricing is probably different, but we pay about $32 for a 40lb bag. My two have done well on it.

#8 ·
A neighbor of mine orders from petflow.com and is pretty happy with it. The rescue group where I got Molly feeds all their bassets Nutro Natural Choice Lamb & Rice. On petflow it is about 20 cents less per pound than the Blue Buffalo Lamb & Rice, but is the same price as some other Blue Buffalo foods. Taste of the Wild was a little less than either of those two.

#10 ·
Unfortunately the closest Costco is a 3 hr round trip so I gave up my membership when I moved here. The closest thing here is a Sams club. Mikey T I know you posted this somewhere before but what % is considered high protein high fat.

#11 ·
We use TOTW and Maggie loves it. I can get it at the local tractor supply or feed store, but I always use amazon because it is much cheaper. Plus I buy the 30#bags (lasts her almost three months each) and having it delivered to the door is quite convenient.

#13 ·
I had Bella on Nature Diet, which you can't get in the US, but it was expensive and miss prissy pants decided to turn her nose up at it all of a sudden so I was wasting it because it goes off really quickly.

I bought a small bag of Eukanuba which she puts up with for her morning meal, because it's dry I leave the remainder down, until her tea time then she gets a half tin of Butchers Liver and Gravy mixed in, I'm not spending half as much as I was and so far Bella's been eating it up every tea time.

Poor thing thinks we're starving her but she doesn't need as much of the dry as she did on the Nature diet.

#16 · (Edited)
We feed half home cooked and half kibble. Home cooked is quite inexpensive. We were on Orijen (not cheap!) for awhile -I think an example of what Mikey was talking about. Quite dense, rich and caloric they all liked it which is an issue with Margot (she's a kibble sucker and spitter outer) but they all put on weight so it was cut back to a lot less than the amount of the previous kibble (Burns). We now are on Fish4Dogs - bigger kibble so I hear more crunching when they eat and they all like it. It's definitely been our favourite kibble and reasonably priced but might be a UK thing...

#17 ·
Mikey T said high protein high fat. One vet suggested Purina was good. Checked the label of Purina one smart blend lamb and rice and compared to Blue Buffalo and Purina Protein 26% BB 24% and Fat Purina 16% BB 14%. So is Purina better than the Blue Buffalo using these standards or am I missing something.

#18 ·
Hubert used to be on Eukanuba large breed puppy but when I got Eeyore I switched both boys to Royal Canin because even though its a pricey food I can get it for cheaper than the Eukanuba through my work. Hubert did ok on the Eukanuba but was never crazy about the taste - sometimes his breakfast would sit out all day until sometime around dinner he would get hungry enough to eat it. Both my boys are crazy though for the Royal Canin.

#24 ·
Finding a good-quality yet budget-friendly dog food can be challenging, especially when you have multiple dogs to feed. Here are some affordable dog food brands that are generally well-regarded by pet owners and may be suitable for feeding multiple dogs:
  1. Purina One: Purina One offers a variety of formulas for different life stages and dietary needs. It's widely available and often more budget-friendly than some premium brands.
  2. Pedigree: Pedigree is known for its affordability and can be a cost-effective option for feeding multiple dogs. They offer formulas for puppies, adult dogs, and seniors.
  3. Hill's Science Diet: While not the cheapest option, Hill's Science Diet offers good quality and is often recommended by veterinarians. They have various formulas for different life stages and specific dietary needs.
  4. Iams: Iams offers a range of dog food options that are typically reasonably priced. They have formulas for puppies, adults, and seniors.
  5. Kirkland Signature (Costco Brand): If you have access to a Costco, their Kirkland Signature brand dog food is often considered a good value for the quality. They offer various formulas for different life stages.
  6. Tractor Supply Co. 4Health: Tractor Supply Co. carries the 4Health brand, which is budget-friendly and has received positive reviews from many dog owners. It's available in different formulas to accommodate various dietary needs.
  7. Amazon Brand - Wag: If you're comfortable with purchasing dog food online, Amazon's own brand, Wag, offers affordable options with various recipes.
When switching to a new dog food brand, it's essential to transition gradually to avoid gastrointestinal upset. Start by mixing a small amount of the new food with the old food and gradually increase the proportion of the new food over the course of about a week.
Remember that while cost is a factor, it's also important to consider the specific nutritional needs of your dogs. Different dogs may require different formulations based on their age, size, activity level, and any specific health concerns. It's a good idea to consult with your veterinarian to ensure you're choosing a food that meets your dogs' individual needs, even on a budget.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.