Basset Hounds Forum banner

Help! MY walters ear flaps smell sour.

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Dschmitt7816 
#1 ·
Walter has auper healthy ears inside. He gets them cleaned weekly and has never had an ear infection in his almost two years. However his ears flaps frequently smell sour, like a washcloth that needs washing. I ask if anyone has a tip or product they use to help with this besides a full bath (hes not a big fan and its a lengthy process we do just once a month) the rest of him doesnt have an odor and his sister doesn't have this at all. THANKS!! (Pic of my smelly boy at his latest vet check)

See less See more
#2 ·
number of cleaning/damp products \

1 vinegar cu 50/50 with water

2. Listerine

3. Malacetic pet wiped (again vinegar)

4. ketohex wipeds VetOne KetoHex Antiseptic Pet Wipes | Chewy (Free Shipping)

or

5 Tria Chlor wipes
]TrizCHLOR 4 Wipes for Dogs & Cats, 50 count - Chewy.com

and Lastly are you sure its the ears and not skin fold around the mouth that are the actual source of the odor

#3 ·
Thanks for the tips. Only occasionally does the skin around his mouth smell its mostly the ends of his ears. If he has a bath he doesnt smell for a few days, inevitably though the sour washcloth smell comes back. Im going to update my chewy order to include some of the wipes you recommended!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.