Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came home today and came in to let bazzel out of his kennel and his eyes were all most rolled up in to the top of his head. it looks like there is an inner eyelid covering the bottom portion of his eye. there are time were he looks perfectly fine and others were he seems not to be able to see at all. He was fine this morning the only thing that is out of the ordinary is he spent the day on Sunday playing with another basset pup at a friends house that he has spent plenty of time at.(she is my dog sitter).

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
I came home today and came in to let bazzel out of his kennel and his eyes were all most rolled up in to the top of his head. it looks like there is an inner eyelid covering the bottom portion of his eye. there are time were he looks perfectly fine and others were he seems not to be able to see at all. He was fine this morning the only thing that is out of the ordinary is he spent the day on Sunday playing with another basset pup at a friends house that he has spent plenty of time at.(she is my dog sitter).[/b]
Time for a vet visit to rule out glaucoma, which results in acute pain and blindness, if not diagnosed and treated emergently. Unfortunately, glaucoma is one of the genetic eye disorders that affects bassets. Usually however, glaucoma affects one eye at a time. Good luck and let us know what your vet finds. :)

·
Registered
773 Posts
Mike's right about a trip to the vet's. Glaucoma is just awful. I've only seen it once, and I hope I never see it again, but unfortunately I probably will.

This could also be a case of cherry eye, which can 'come and go' as you've described. It's not due to a dog playing too roughly or rubbing its eye or anything -- it happens! Surgery and meds will take care of it.

But please see the vet ASAP. Eye issues are nothing to fool around with.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:lol: good news!!!!!!!!!!! bazzel is healthy a a horse sans an eye infection! IN BOTH EYES NATURALLY :blink: . The doc sent us home with some antibiotic eye drops I get to try and administer twice a day for 10 days. My normal vet is booked out 4 weeks right now so I had to take him to a vet right near my new home and we will see how things go when i take him back on Friday just so they can double check and make sure he is coming along like the think he should be, but I may just change vets. The nurse's think bazzel is the cutest thing since sliced bread, the doc seemed to really care about my hound. he was fast as he could be with the unpleasant parts witch kept bazzels stress level down enough that he could do what he needed to do and not have to fight with him to much to look in to eyes that made my eyes want to water when I looked at them.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Oh, thank God! As the proud owner of a beautiful little basset blind from glaucoma I am so relieved that it's "only" an infection. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts