Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI, This is my first time using this site and I hope someone can help! I have a 2 year old basset called Dude. He is a great dog (arent they all). He is brilliant with the kids, is really chilled out and has all the traits of this great breed. But he has a really bad smell all the time which is only getting worse and it is now at the point where he cant be in the house that much due to the over powering smell. We have tried everything over the last year. Washing, Grooming, Anal Glands expressed, Ears cleaned etc etc. The smell is a real musty, stale smell (like old socks & gone off eggs). The smell is very overpowering for us and visitors nearly get sick when they smell it. My vet and groomer dont know what else it could be. I dont know what else to do at this point. He is such a great dog but is not getting the love and attention he deserves. There must be other bassett owners who have experience to this. Please advise and any help or comments would be greatly appreciated by Dude and the family

·
Registered
972 Posts
Sounds like he has a yeast infection on his skin. I would ask a vet, but I had a rescue dog once that had this and the solutions were,live with it (BLAH!) shave them and apply a vet approved medication to the skin until well, or daily baths with olive oil soap...it could just be his own skin oil glands producing too much oil, in which case washing him and letting his skin be dry would make it worse. You can also apply oatmeal lotions to his skin, under the fur.
Also, you could try changing his diet. Do mostly protein based foods (no bi-products or corn and gluten etc.), and even include parsley flaks in his food.

Maybe one of these will help!! Good luck! poor little guy!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Please keep us updated on this OP as we want to know Dude is ok and to have a solution in case somebody has this problem. Thanks. I have fed my basset high quality food her whole life and unless it is just me, but I can put my nose right into her fur and not really smell anything, although I know bassets are known for their musky smell.

Go to a better vet if his/her best answer is I dont know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dear Dude's parents,

I am not quite sure what his smell could be from but why not try a tomato juice bath like they do when animals get sprayed by skunks? I am not sure if this will help but maybe it will lessen the smell? Typically basset's have oily skin and that can start smelling if they havent had a bath....so I dont think that would be it? Typically they smell from bad ears or a bad tooth...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Have you had his teeth checked out? Our boy Chuck who passed away in July had the worst smell during the last year of his life. At first I thought it was due to bad breath, however, no matter how many times I brush his teeth a day, the smell just would not go away. It smelt like a dead animal. We took him to the vet, and it turned out that he has two rotten teeth, and the condition was so bad that part of the bones that were in the sinus area were rotted away as well. The vet removed the teeth, and even after multiple surgeries, the gum tissue around those teeth would not heal, and thus leaving two holes which packed in food and hair all the time. We had to use saline solution once a week to flush out those holes; otherwise we would end up with dead animal smell in the house. Chuck's condition was due to the negligence of the first vet that we went to, who didn't find the problem, and therefore, delayed treatment for months. Also Chuck was a senior boy with deteriorating health and that was the main reason that his gum would not heal after surgeries. But once we have the bad teeth removed, and keep the holes flushed out, the bad smell went away.

·
Registered
13,122 Posts
why not try a tomato juice bath like they do when animals get sprayed by skunks
Anyone that actual had a dog sprayed by a skunk knows tomato juice is vertually useless. The only think that has even a remote chance a reducing the odor is a strong detergent like dawn dishwashing liquid mixed 50/50 with a strong oxider that is dog safe. (bleach not being safe) like hydrogen peroxide.

Don't discount the posibility of lip fold pyderma and/or the odor eminating from the mouth.

Does the dog have dandruff? Sheborrhea is more common in the breed than generallym known. It can only be controlled not cured with antisheborreahic shampoos like selsun blue ( only the one the contain selinium oxide) left on for a minimium of 15 minutes an d bathed at least once a week. Some time a more powerful anti-seborrhic shampoo containing coal tar is need for control. The fortunate thing is most of the anti sheborrhic shampoos are helpful in controling yeast as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Smelly dog

I have had lots of different breeds over the years and only my basset has this distinct musty smell that he gets regardless of his environment or his food. He has allergies to most dog foods, so his food is a high grade fish based dog food. We deal with it by giving him baths at least 1x month: short ones using a gentle oatmeal based shampoo, and using wipes in between. His skin is not bothered by the baths. His smell comes about 7 days after each bath. He does sometimes get blocked sebaceous glands on his skin, so I suspect the cause of the smell is the oil produced, which I have heard is typical of hounds. Also, he has his own special blanket to lay on. That way he doesnt funk up the carpet or furniture, but can still be spoiled like the other dogs :).

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've heard that 1/2 cup of Listerine in a 16oz spray bottle, (fill the rest of the way with water) is a safe and easy de-stinker if not used too often. A friend does this with her dogs. She says spray until thoroughly wet but not dripping then brush through and let dry. Not too often because of the alcohol content being drying to the skin.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Bentley smells just a few days after his bath. I scrub his house to remove the oily stains he leaves. I find that if I wipe his underarms and beside his ears the smell isn't so strong. He hates to stink! He loves a nice bath and brushing his teeth is his very favorite treat. I am having a hard time finding a good ear cleanser for him though. Does anyone have a favorite?

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Re: Mikey... Another good skunk "cure" is a mixture of baking soda and hydrogen peroxide. Mix to a runny paste, let it sit on the dog for a bit (10-15) minutes, rinse then bathe as normal.

@ Clinton... I buy an ear cleanser from the vet. Went to look up the name, but apparently I am out and need to get more. It does a good job. I squirt a bit in the ears (they don't like much 'cos it is cold) then use my finger with gauze to clean out the crud.

In general, I have been lucky. No stinky bassets. Only time is after they have been out in the rain and I get the "wet dog" smell, but it goes away once they are dry, or rolling in something yummy (to them!). Only time I had this issue was with Abby near the end, but she was one sick little girl.

If Dude's vet can rule out any medical issues, then I have no idea. You may want to try another vet as they are not all created equal. I feel I have great vets. They are not the cheapest in town but they are obviously in it more for the love of animals than profit. So often they will say "if its my dog I would.... They also will call to check the status if there as been some issue to see how the dog is doing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts