Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a gas mask you can send up hear real quick???? Moms trying to kill us.....we had frost last night so mom got this great idea to make green tomato pickel and is smelling up the whole place with the vile stuff ... it has been boiling away for hours and hours and Cairo the Cat and I have taken to slinking 2 inches off the floor and sticking our snooters to the patio screens just to breathe..... even humin sister is threatening to leave ... she is too dumb to know it you stick yer nose to the door ya can gulp in fresh air.... mom says only about an hour to go.... help!!!:eek:

Your Ble Faced Friend Pais and oh ya Cairo the Cat:mad:

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Does anyone have a gas mask you can send up hear real quick???? Moms trying to kill us.....we had frost last night so mom got this great idea to make green tomato pickel and is smelling up the whole place with the vile stuff ... it has been boiling away for hours and hours and Cairo the Cat and I have taken to slinking 2 inches off the floor and sticking our snooters to the patio screens just to breathe..... even humin sister is threatening to leave ... she is too dumb to know it you stick yer nose to the door ya can gulp in fresh air.... mom says only about an hour to go.... help!!!:eek:

Your Ble Faced Friend Pais and oh ya Cairo the Cat:mad:
Paisley-- i'll save yer!! umm... hmm.. but i am far away. don't think i'm going to be able to get in an hour though. Only Superdog can do that. how 'bout getting your Ma to boil some chicken while she's boiling that other stuff? then at least u can get some bettah smellz...

sorry to hear 'bout ur Ma's tomaters.
--Worm

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
My farm grandma gave us some apples, they smell very good, better than your smelly old tomatoes, I bet.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Y'all poor things.. I can't even imagine the smell Y'all are going through and I would really rather not trying to imagine such a thing. The name "green tomato pickel" sounds icky enough. Anyways~ just stick your head in the toilet. No smell of tomato pickel in there, that's for sure!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Guys -- well Paisley, Cairo the Cat and everyone else survived the makingof the infamous Green Tomato Pickle --- its pretty pungent stuff when you are boiling the concoction but pretty tasty believe it or not when it is finished. Its rather more of a chutney than a pickle -- more sweet than sour.... tomatoes, onions, brown sugar, cloves and cinnamon etc. I don't know if it is just a Canadian thing but my Grandma made it and so did my husbands mother. I couldn't find my Grandmas recipie and found it in a Mennonite Cookbook so I know its not a regional thing. You eat it as a condiment with meat...... maybe its origen goes back to a time when winter veggies were scarce and the settlers needed some kind of vitamin C although one would think any vitamins would be long gone after a 6 hr. boil.
I did find something even I find disgusting -- a recipie for Green Tomato Pie -- a desert pie not a savory one ---- don't think I'll try it though.
Our threat of frost seems to be gone for the next week -- temps will be from 60 to 75 degrees so maybe the rest of my tomatoes will ripen and I can make something more normal like salsa!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts