Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
help i think our rescue basset may be expecting. im not sure how to really tell and how long they are pregnant for? she looks to have gained about 5lbs or so in the last week and her nibbles seem to swollen a little more than i remember. :eek:

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
If she was adopted from a rescue organization or shelter, she should be spayed...?

If you believe she's not spayed, she may be experiencing a false pregnancy after being in season. The best course of action would be to have your veterinarian evaluate her. At one point during pregnancy, an experienced veterinarian can tell by feeling the abdomen, but you have to get the dog in at the right time, not too early or too late. A couple of other diagnostic options include ultrasound and a relaxin blood test.

False pregnancies are common in bassets, and I'll keep my fingers crossed that's it's no worse than that. If she's not spayed, have her spayed as soon as your vet can! :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If she was adopted from a rescue organization or shelter, she should be spayed...?

If you believe she's not spayed, she may be experiencing a false pregnancy after being in season. The best course of action would be to have your veterinarian evaluate her. At one point during pregnancy, an experienced veterinarian can tell by feeling the abdomen, but you have to get the dog in at the right time, not too early or too late. A couple of other diagnostic options include ultrasound and a relaxin blood test.

False pregnancies are common in bassets, and I'll keep my fingers crossed that's it's no worse than that. If she's not spayed, have her spayed as soon as your vet can! :)[/b]

im sorry i say rescue becasue she was stuck outside with no love from the previous owner. so tech. she is not a rescue. we know she is not spayed and have an appointment to do that next month already. we have had her about three weeks now and have not seen any signs of her being in season? my only experience was chows years ago. thanks.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Ah, got it. Well, it still could be a false pregnancy. I'd suggest getting her to the vet within the next few days to get a better idea of what's going on.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Oh, dear -- fingers crossed that it's nothing more than a false pregnancy.......

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well it is confirmed she is pregnant. Guess she should be due around the end of April. Looks like she conceived when someone opened the gate and let her out a few weeks ago when we were gone. Thanks for all the hopes. Now we move on.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
It is not too late to spay. It would be better for her, considering that she is much to young to be having a litter, and you were also concerned about her being underweight, so the pups are starting out disadvantaged on both counts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah even tho we now have deadbolt locks on the gate we are going to get her taken care of as soon as we can. just gonna do my best to take care of momma and keep her healthy. she is up to 30 lbs now and giving her a multi vitiman daily. thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts