Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My aunt found two dogs cuddling together by a brridge out in the country apparently abandoned. One is a young intact male maybe less than a year old. We have a 9yr old male we've had from birth. Great dog. Very loving. Never nipped kids or anything. Very laid back. Also intact. We picked the other one up today. Pretty. Good manners. Has a lot of play in him. Teething. But when playing he seems to display signs he knows not to nip at face. Etc. Sits when in room. Just seems polite at times to me. All they did from 6pm till now is run around and try to mount each other basically. If you separate them. Hey whine. . Young one will even bark. They have shared water dish and food. But will not sleep. The older one seems to be ready to crash but the young one wont lay off. I know sharing water is a good sign.. but were tryig to figure out if this adoption will work and I really hope it does. Any tips?

·
Registered
12,960 Posts
If there were going to be problem you would have likely encountered it by now. That said having two intacted males can increase hormone based aggression. This tend to rear it ugly head more in the presence of scent from a female, especial in heat. if you are planing on keep both nuetering one or both would eliviate this potential problem that said the other health factors tend toward keeping, males intacted however.

the other are that sometime crops up without any warning or indication of a problem is resource guarding. What resource(s) if any a dog feels need to be guarded is going to be known until the dog does guard it. So any time you give something new to the new dog you are going to want to supervise both dog for any posible problems. new toys, food, sleeping spot, etc.

they did from 6pm till now is run around and try to mount each other basically
sound like you have no problem with this behavior. There is a misconception that it is a dominance display.

[URL="http://www.dogsincanada.com/oh-behave-love-and-mounting"]Oh behave: Love and mounting [/URL]
Ah, love. I’ll tip the hand early and tell you the greatest likelihood is that mounting is a sexual behaviour. In fact, I think this could stand some screaming from the rooftops: mounting is sex, mounting is sex, mounting is sex! That this is not obvious to any onlooker is pretty amazing.

...Dog play consists of chasing (feeding FAP by the chaser, flight FAP by the chasee); play biting (fight and feeding); wrestling, body slamming and pinning (fight and feeding); and courtship and copulatory behaviours such as pawing, mounting, clasping and thrusting. These are punctuated by meta-signals such as play-bows, bouncy movements and grinning play faces, which signal the playful intent of the F’s that precede and follow. And note, all sexes might mount other sexes: it’s play.

At any dog park you’ll see owners continually and automatically defaulting to a non-sexual explanation for mounting, notably our old favourite, dominance. Now, I’m no shrink but unless dogs are way more into S & M than anybody has reckoned, when an animal mounts and thrusts, I think we need to rule out sex before entertaining other interpretations. In other words, when an animal does the granddaddy of all FAPs during play, mightn’t it be play sex, just like play fighting, play predation and play fleeing? Bottom line: She is also playing well when she mounts!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts