Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been here for quite some time but I really need some advice my dog is having some serious behavioural problems. Everytime we go out even if it just to do groceries he gets destructive, he diggs up my whole garden there is nothing left he chews my lawn there is patches that doesn't even grow anymore. The other day he ripped his bed to pieces. What can i do to make it better for him to cope when we leave and better for my finances because i have to replace everything he destroys.

Please help!!! :(

·
Registered
284 Posts
sorry to hear your problems.

how old is monty?

im no expert but maybe getting a companion for him would help?

how about crating him when left alone?

or get him a really good bone to chew that will keep in occupied whilst you pop out for an hour?

or maybe leave him for five minutes at a time to build up his confidence and gradually make the seperation time longer over a period of weeks?

aslo what about really tiring him out before you go out. take him for a real good walk so all he wants to do is sleep when you leave him.

hope some of these ideas might help. im sure you'll get lots of responce to his post to help you.

good luck

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx for the advice monty is about 7 or 8 months old! I will try your advice, i really do think it is separation anxiety because he follows me every where i go i can't even go to the bathroom without him following me. He has made peace with the idea we sleep inside the house and he sleeps outside but when he wakes up in the morning he will sit outside our window and bark like crazy until i open the door for him, and he will be so happy it looks like he hasn't seen me in weeks. I see it as a good thing in a way because it means he is a happy dog and that i am a good owner but it is also negative and i want to correct this problem before it really gets worse. (if it can get worse)

·
Registered
284 Posts
as he's soooo very young still you should be able to help this situation.

what ages did you get the pup? before 8 weeks??

try not to prase him when he gets to excited to see you. dont give him any attension. let him in if you need to and then just ignor him. give him cuddles once he has settled down and is not excited to see you anymore. hopfully this might help over the space of a few days/weeks.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
I'm not an expert, but I do know that bassets are pack animals and really need to be with people or other animals.
It sounds like he's lonely and bored.

When you leave, a special treat that will keep him busy for a few hours, like a stuffed Kong (do you have those in your part of the world?) might help.

Is allowing him to sleep in your room at night out of the question?

Sorry to hear you are having this problem- I know other people on the forum have experienced this and may have better advice- hang in there!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
On the barking and you open the door, he has won and gotten what he wanted. He thinks "I bark and bark and they come and open the door". You will have to wake up before him to correct this behavior. Just try to beat him to it and get the door open and invite him in before the barking starts. Then he learns "I'm quiet and they come".

When you leave the house don't make a big deal of it and like the others said give him something to keep him busy. Several stuffed "Kongs" hidden around the yard will help keep him busy. Lots of play time and long walks before you leave to tire him out might help. A very large ball he can roll around the yard and play with or one of those huge knotted ropes to drag aroung might provide entertainment.

Practice leaving for five minutes, return and keep stretching out the time you are away. Then he will learn you will come back. When you return also don't make a big deal out of returning. If he is running up to you, jumping up, etc. turn your back to him and ignore until he settles down. When he becomes quiet then give him attention.

Basset puppies are very active and can be destructive. They are a pack animal and you are his pack, and he is just wanting your attention and love. They are just like toddlers, and they will seek out something to do and pitch a fit (barking or tearing up something) when they don't get their way. Try to let him spend more time with you when you are home. Keep him leashed at your side to keep him out of trouble while he is in the house. This way he will be happy being with you and you can watch Monty.

You also might try an obedience class which really gives you bonding time, plus expert advice on dog behavior and how to encourage the good and ignore the bad. What they learn there really spills over into daily life. Good luck with Monty!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanx so much everyone i am definitely going to try all of your advise and i will try and get one of those kong things you guys are talking about. Unfortunately my boyfriend doesn't like him sleeping in the house we only let him sleep in the house if there is heavy weather outside.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Who pays the rent??? I think leaving him outside might be a mistake.. You can get a very nice, roomy crate... If you do, feed him in his crate so he connects the crate as a good place.. Give him certain toys for when you go out. Ones that he really likes.. Kong is a good one with peanut butter inside. A good walk before you go is helpful also.. Everybody is giving very good advice. Look online for Informational books on this topic.. Your library probably has some.
mary f

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanx so much everyone i am definitely going to try all of your advise and i will try and get one of those kong things you guys are talking about. Unfortunately my boyfriend doesn't like him sleeping in the house we only let him sleep in the house if there is heavy weather outside.[/b]
Oh no! :( I think that is the biggest mistake you are making. He should be sleeping inside. Besides, being alone all night outside increases the bad behavior. If you don't have one already, get him a crate. He can sleep there at night until you feel that he's trustworthy to leave inside the house over night unsupervised. I am new to bassets, but not dogs. But from experience, I know that a crate can help a dog calm down a bit. Is he neutered?
I totally agree, going to puppy class is a great start. Another thing, if he digs it's because he's BORED. Try to do as much activity as possible to tire him out. This could be anything. Even as little as fifteen minutes, teaching him to sit or whatever. While you watch TV or something, just toss a ball in one direction and make him get it. Sit at the park with him and let him watch the people, or simply walk him. Believe me, he will get tired and relax a bit. Good luck :) .

·
Registered
465 Posts
If you don't have one already, get him a crate. He can sleep there at night until you feel that he's trustworthy to leave inside the house over night unsupervised.

Is this advice for the boyfriend or Monty? he he he. :D Sorry, that was pure evil. Let that good boy inside! The sooner that you learn that

(a) The basset is boss

and

(B) When in doubt, refer to statement (a).

the easier life will be for all of you!

Seriously, hope things work out. It's hard to have them inside sometimes and expect them to be satisfied outside all night. Bassets want to be with their people. Once he grows up a bit, with a little patience, you will be enjoying a warm basset snoozing peacefully beside BF's chair. Kongs are good, and sterilized shin bones filled with that peanut butter stuff will keep him entertained for hours.

Good luck!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Just putting in my two cents! I too don't think he should be sleeping outside. He is a puppy that needs to be inside with the rest of the pack (you and your boyfriend). I would also invest in a good crate. Make it a positive thing. Give him treats in their and a chew bone. Maybe being inside will give you all some peace and everyone can sleep at night. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Please don't let your puppy in the house alone while you are not there. :( First,he is a puppy, he will entertain himself the way puppies do, by getting into things and there is no one there to correct him. When someone comes home and possibly yells because of the mess he has made you will make him fearful :unsure: enough that you will start to think "He knows he did something wrong." No he doesn't, he only knows you yell at him when you come home. He is getting into a destructive behavior pattern which the longer he is allowed to destroy ,the tougher it will to make him stop. Think like your puppy! :huh: If you were a puppy in the house by yourself what would you do? I use to be a Vet Tech and know of a puppy(not a basset) that got caught in the owner's pocket book straps and hung itself,because the owner thought useing a crate was mean. Does your puppy need a playmate? (another puppy or dog) NO! What one can do two can do better and faster and move on to furniture. This puppy is raising himself, if you want a good dog you need to teach it to be a good puppy. You need to make time to play with the puppy so you can teach the word,"NO!" One word,not" stop that ",or throw him a bunch of words, he has no idea of what you are saying. You probably need to teach bite inhabition so when playing and he grabs your hand growl(yes,I said GROWL) "NOOO" at him. You do not need to yell he is not deaf. If he does not respond(by looking at you) give the scruff of his neck a little shake while repeating NOOO. That should get his attention. Use "NO" for everything you do not want him to do. Any other people in the household need to follow your example. If you see him starting to get into something he shouldn't and you are in another room clap your hands and growl NOOO. The clap should get his attention then the word means something. If you just say "no don't do that" he will not understand what you want. Do not hit him with anything. You will be surprised how fast he can learn that word. Get a crate. When you leave home he goes in it. He goes to bed in it. He takes a nap or time out in the crate. Allow for some frustration on his part. If he gets to barking use a squirt bottle of water,one squirt,"NOOO." He will sit and think about it for a second or two then start again. Try not to pay attention to him except to correct him every now and then. There are some pups that won't take no for an answer easily but don't give in and let him out ,only let him out when he has been quiet for a while ,even just a few minuets. Remember this if nothing else If you are more stubborn (I think manipulative is a better description) than your basset you will get along just fine and the most improtant thing for puppies is being Persistant and Consistant in what you say and do. They are dogs of habit, so what you teach them will affect what they will be like as an adult. Let him do what he wants ,do not correct him ,you will be unhappy and so will he. He needs to be taught. :wub:

·
Registered
316 Posts
Just putting in my two cents! I too don't think he should be sleeping outside. He is a puppy that needs to be inside with the rest of the pack (you and your boyfriend). I would also invest in a good crate. Make it a positive thing. Give him treats in their and a chew bone. Maybe being inside will give you all some peace and everyone can sleep at night. Good Luck![/b]
This is good advice. Here is a little snippet from my breeders website regarding bassets:

4) Bassets need companionship. Bassets do not do well as yard dogs. They will
become barkers if left alone outdoors for too long a time. In the house, if
left alone too long, they will find ways you will not like, to amuse themselves.
Bassets were bred as pack dogs to hunt and live together in groups. They need
the company of other pets or humans. Do not buy a Basset if you plan on
spending most of your days and nights gone. Pets are not toys you put on the
shelf when you don’t have time for them.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Doh. Forgot to finish my thought on the previous post.

My two girls have a crate they are in while I'm at work. The crate is in my room next to my bed. They have free run of the house while I'm home, but they will sleep in my room in their cage at night because it's next to me.

Sometimes I think the phrase 'pack dog' is overused. But bassets that are born to good breeders and live with them for at least 10 weeks will just inherit that feeling of rather being in groups than alone. When 99's son Rico comes to visit for the weekends on occasion the 3 of them always curl up to sleep together. Here's proof:

Your dog is bored and lonely.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts