Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Basset, Buster, is about 10 months old now. I know hes still a puppy,
How long will he take to calm down.
Pretty much 24/7 he is either running around everywhere.

Do you guys have any tips?

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
Wish I had some advice for you but I have a Basset, Baxter, and he's 7 months old and I have the same problem. I see now that it will last at my house at least another 3 months!! Not too encouraging! I guess they're not grown till they're a year old so you have a bit to go. I keep telling myself that in a couple of years I'll look back and wish I had that little bullet running through the house and doing the Basset 500!!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
40 Posts
:lol: :lol: This all sounds VERY familiar... I have a 9 month old female Bassett and she is just NUTS!! I cannot sweep the floor without her "helping" me!! Even the vacuum (which she's been scared of for the last 6 months) is no challenge to her anymore... BUT take heart she is A LOT quieter now than a few weeks back. I've also noticed that she is more "panty" than usual.. Which basically means, she's put so much weight on in the last fews weeks (I must add that she's NOT overweight, just a growth spirt) she's forgotten that she's getting really big and she's only got little legs :unsure: ....

I take her to work with me everyday and she's brill.. She just goes to sleep :lol: As long as I take her for a long walk at lunchtime she's as good as gold for the rest of the time (mind you I do have to tie her up as she thinks EVERYBODY comes into the office to see her!!) ;)

My breeder did tell me that Bassetts are quite hyper up until 1 year and then it's as if a switch is turned on in their heads to the tune of: "I cannot be bothered being like all the other dogs.. I'll just remain aloof"!!! :lol:

I'm definately a Bassett owner for life... Why would you want anything else???

Good luck,
Jaimie
xx

·
Registered
118 Posts
You're in luck! You will likely never see the end of the Basset 500. That will go on as long as they do, just maybe less frequently one day.

Some say maybe (MAYBE) they seem to calm down a bit after two years old... Hope you are a patient person... :blink:

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I have 2 who are quite different. Lily (2) is very hyper - always on the go. Gibbs (4) is very laid back. I guess it just depends on the dog.

~Heather

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
buster will be getting neutered in about 1 month.

did anyone notice a drastic change once the dog is neutered?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
One of the reasons I got Lightning was because his aunt was so laid back. She was five years old. It never occurred to me to ask the breeder how long his auntie had been that way. Looking back, I think the answer would have been, "About a week now." Lightning was crazy until about his fourth birthday. Even now (at 8) he has very hyper moments. But he's calmed down a lot. Good luck. P.S. I got Stomps when he was 3-5 years old (he's a rescue), and because of his upbringing (I was told he was tied up in his previous owner's back yard until he was relinquished), he was never as hyper as Lightning. But he's actually more active--he doesn't use all his energy in short bursts like Lightning. He knows how to conserve his energy for the long haul.

·
Registered
144 Posts
oo BTW , I walk him about 45-60 mins everyday.[/b]
I would up that to about 120 to 300 and he'll tire out.

Ernest is one year old and still needs about 3-5 miles a day and still zooms around the house and runs around after his squeaky.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I got mine at 11 months and I think he was about THREE when I realized we had turned a corner.

The trainers all say "a tired Basset is a good Basset" ...or vice versa! Something like that. :lol:

Try to enjoy it. The next phase is the "sleeping all the time" phase. It's not nearly as fun ...

·
Registered
775 Posts
Having 2 Bassets helps release their energy. They play very hard for hours everyday and tire each other out. After playing, they both pass out almost at the same exact time for hours!!! I also walk them and have them out for adventures several hours a day. Maybe increasing his walking or adding an addition walk will help!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Around three our Jake has calmed a bit... and Samantha is quite laid back at 5... unless there is food involved! They do still do the basset 500 daily... and don't forget the howl fest :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Dunkman it just by the look of the pics i can see Monty and Buster have the same type of personalities Buster's poses in the pics are exactly the poses i always get when i want to take a picture of Monty IF HE IS STILL FOR 3 SECONDS!!!! ;)

I also decided to get Monty neutured although he is adorable at times when he is hyper it can also make him destructive my couches aren't the same anymore and my garden doesn't exist so in that respect i would like it if he could just calm down abit.
He is only 8 months and still a pup i know but it can be tiring. So to hear you say that some of your dogs are 4 or 8 and still active i am affraid i am very affraid!! :blink: :blink: :huh: :huh: :huh:

·
Registered
11 Posts
My girls are 10 months now and are pretty laid back. Usually a 45 minute walk tires them out. But when that doesn't do the trick i throw a tennis ball for them in the yard and they run around and chase each other. About 30 minutes of that usually poops them out.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Not hyper, just normal Basset puppy behavior. Bassets do usually mature later than some breeds so puppyhood stays with them until they around 2+ years. Faysie is right "A tired Basset is a good Basset".
Our Bubba, ATB, was very laid back and a mellow guy. A walk would settle him down, and he was ready for a nap even when he was around 1 to 2 years old. He was a couch potato.
Our present fur kid, Bogie Carter is very different. A 2 mile walk is a warm up for him, and he comes in the door ready for a romp. He'll be 2 on April 21st. We've found that he needs lots of running to settle him down. He loves to play with a soccer ball in the yard, runs after the rope frizbee and likes to play keep away with it, and sometimes he's get on a tear in the house or the yard doing the "Basset 500" running like crazy. A good game of tug-a war with his long knotted rope and tossing it is a good energy burner too. He is much more active than Bubba was. Just like people, some more active than others.
Enjoy your guy and his antics.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Maya is 7 months and is the most laid back puppy I ever met!
My friend has an 8 month old schnauzer puppy that just doesn't sleep. Every time she calls here Maya is lying snoring on the couch!
She gets excited when we come in from work, and every so often has a mad 15 minutes when she runs up and down the living room but normally she is very calm and laid back. To be honest I thought it was because she is a Basset I thought they were all like that :p

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well, guys.. I've just got in from seeing a friend who has a 4 month old Springer Spaniel (their not called Springers for nothing!!! :lol: :lol: ). Poppy is now ABSOLUTLY pooped out.. She can hardly lift her head now... :rolleyes:

So some peace her for me and hubby tonight!! :lol: ;) :D B)

·
Registered
225 Posts
My previous basset was pretty calm, then I got Mr. Runcible.
Now I understand the true meaning of the word calm. He is
a very laid back basset. Sure he can go for walks all day, but
when he is inside you hardly notice him, except for the occational
drool-trace and head-on-knee. Cuddling is more important then
playing by far. He was a old dog already as a pup.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Alfie is 1 in July and has just started to quieten down.He is alot gentler with small children and his play biting is about 5% of what it used to be!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts