Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could use some info on how to introduce a rescued 4 year old basset boy to our home after losing our beloved cocker of 15 years. Have read up on all the info online and have purchased some items but need advice on what to feed him (what do owners REALLY use? Not what the purists suggest; our Chloe lived a long and happy life on supermarket food!)., Also, what kind of bed do bassets like? Any help is appreciated by these excited parents-to-be!!!!

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Welcome and thank you for rescuing! :D

Originally posted by moviegal246
need advice on what to feed him (what do owners REALLY use? Not what the purists suggest; our Chloe lived a long and happy life on supermarket food!).,
I feed mine a combination of Purina ProPlan and Eukanuba. But whatever he does well on should be fine.

Also, what kind of bed do bassets like?
King, with a pillowtop mattress. The sofa will do, if the bed is unavailable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sleep with us?

We never allowed our cocker to sleep with us; we are both poor sleepers as it is. Will he be ok downstairs in his own bed?

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
He should be fine, eventually. Rescue dogs sometimes velcro themselves to their new owners until they feel secure in their new homes, so he may fuss a bit at first. But they also find routine reassuring, so if you establish a consistent bedtime routine (I highly recommend incorporating a large biscuit into this routine), he'll come 'round. :D

·
Registered
121 Posts
Right now my basset eats a mix of iams and Purina pro plan (1 cup of each at meal time). Once a day he gets a little wet food mixed into his kibble.
Right now I'm using Pedigree(I had a coupon lol).

As far as beds, he'll lay on anything soft. I bought him 2 dog beds. One was from walmart and the other was a big round pillow from Super pets.
He will lay on both of them, but he prefers my sons lounge a round pillow from the company store. lol

Good luck with your new fur baby! :)

J

·
0 Posts
We fed Jasmine on 'James Well Beloved' for the first 8 or 9 months, but switched to 'Burns' as our new puppy does better on the latter. Both worked well for her. I don't know if either are available outside of the UK, but I imagine any quality dog food free from unnecessary additives will do the job.
Our girls aren't allowed off the ground floor, and Jasmine has slept on a large round pillow in the kitchen from the start. It may take some getting used to the new environment, but I'm sure your pup will grow to love its bed in no time.
I'm afraid I can't speak for any special needs of a rescue dog, as we got Jasmine from a breeder. I imagine lots of love and attention will go a long way though. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Our vet has said the Purina Pro foods are perfectly fine and I have found them at most supermarkets in our area- I used Pedigree years ago with our golden retrievers... but the bassets went on strike and refused to eat it :roll:
Mine sleep in various places. We bought a futon couch for them specifically but they prefer the ottoman at the foot of our bed or couch... except Jake who snuggles with me under the covers :oops:

·
Registered
360 Posts
We rescued an eight year old Basset girl in February. She feels most comfortable on the floor, next to my bed. She also has a futon, which is supposed to be for the two of them to sleep on (my other is a male 4 years old) My new girl usually starts off next to my bed and then moves to the futon half way through the night.

She must think she's guarding me or watching over me until I go to sleep. It's very sweet. But she seems to want to be in our room for now. My other one never did this.

·
Registered
813 Posts
George likes the couch. And the chairs. And has some favorite rugs. AND a bed of his own I got on the cheap at Wal-Mart. He's not interested in our bed for some reason, though he likes to sleep beside it sometimes. The question of where does a basset sleep is usually "wherever he darned well wants to!" :lol:

As far as food goes, George turns up his aristocratic nose at nearly every dog food brand known to man. He has recently deigned to eat Moist and Meaty. If pressed he will occasionally eat Pedigree canned food. What he really likes are waffles, pizza and cheese and not necessarily in that order. Yours, being a rescue, might not have developed such, um, discerning, not to say picky, tastes.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Happy slept in his crate, he never had a problem with it and it helped potty train him. I knew where he was all night long and he was safe, kinda like putting a baby in a crib. He was a year old when we got him. Now, four years later he can sleep where he chooses, he often picks his crate. Thank you for picking a rescue.
Joan

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Welcome to the world of Bassets!! You are in for a very wonderful adventure full of drool, fur, laughter, and unconditional love .

As to what to feed him (what do owners REALLY use), you will have many answers here on the forum. We use Nutro Natural Choice and alternate between their "Lamb Meal and Rice Formula for Adult Dogs" and their "Large Breed Adult" which has chicken and rice. Bogie gets 2 and 1/2 cups per day in three feedings: one cup morning 6 AM; one cup evening 5 PM; and 1/2 cup at bedtime 10 PM. The bedtime feeding helped with him sleeping later in the morning, and we had morning barfing issues from a very empty tummy. Instead of rising at 4:30 AM he now sleeps to 5:30 or 6 without tummy issues. He's just a little over a year old.
As for beds we have a round doggie pillow bed downstairs, a pipe bed for outdoors that he loves, and at night he sleeps in a soft sided crate with pillow bed right beside our bed. We know, he's spoiled. He does not get on our furniture or sleep in our bed, because we are hoping to prevent back problems from the jumping up and down in later years.

Bogie on his pipe bed.

Bogie on his doggie pillow bed.

Aroooooos from Bogie Carter!!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Welcome! I'm thrilled you chose a rescue basset and wish you many happy years together.

Mine sleep anywhere and everywhere. LUkcily I'm a sound sleeper so they don't disturb me coming and going from bed at night, but obviously this isn't for everyone. When I get a new rescue or foster I find they want to be near me until they are more comfy. The length of time depends on the dog and his/her previous circumstances.

About half my dogs are on special foods for various medical conditions. The rest are pretty much happy with any of the foods I get. I actually use a variety of food since I know I wouldn't want to eat the same thing day after day and week after week. Again, this depends of the dogs and their systems. I do feel all of mine green beans & pumpkin with their chow. I would probably also add a little yogurt, but I rarely remember to buy it. (I know, bad slave).

You don't mention other pets currently living with you, so I'll assume you are a one dog household. The best advice I can give is to realize that he will need time to get adjusted. Give him lots of love and understanding.

And, of course, we all want to see pics.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of bassets!!! I've had Jackie for six weeks and I can't imagine my life without her. This board has also been a huge resource for me. I feed Jackie Purina Pro Plan and it has been highly recommended to me by my vet. Also, Petsmart usually has it on sale if there is a store near you.

For Jackie's bed, I went super cheap and found a wicker basket type bed from wal-mart. The padding it came with wasn't very nice but I bought Jackie a regular size bed pillow and stuck it in the bed. She loves having her own pillow to sleep on and the fact that regular pillowcases fit on it make it super easy to clean. However, Jackie only wants to sleep there if someone else is in the room, otherwise she is like most bassets and wants to be right with me. Good luck on getting your hound tomorrow!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Bless you for adopting a rescue basset and welcome to CyberHound!

Just want to add my 2¢ that I avoid corn in their food. My two bassets have ear "issues" when they eat corn. But after having a Cocker Spaniel, I suspect you know all about ear issues!

Before you know it, you'll be going to basset waddles and picnics. Be sure to check out the sticky post on top about signing up for the howliday card exchange.

Alice

·
Registered
511 Posts
Congratulations! You're gonna love being owned by a basset and pretty soon you'll be a basset-a-holic like the rest of us here. I just can't get enough.

My three eat California Natural Herring and Sweet Potato which they love. They were previously on Innova which they also loved.

As far as sleeping arrangements go, my kids share the queen size pillow top with me, or is it the other way around ... hmm, I'm not sure anymore.

·
Registered
77 Posts
When we got Charlie as a puppy he had problems with some of the food we were giving him. The vet recommended sticking with either lamb & rice or Chicken & rice. We choise Lamb & rice, but when we were stationed in Germany we could only get chicken & rice and he did fine with the switch. Just last week I went out to a speciality store and bought Charlie some better lamb and rice lower carbs as he has been itching and for the last 2 night we haven't been woke up from itching fits.
I bought a large pillow bed for him as he is old and I wanted him to not have to climb up on the sofa, and well they (Brandy & Charlie) proceeded to tear the thing apart what a mess. So we took the feet off of a footstool we had and put it in front of the sofa so he can get up there. I am a light sleeper and can't let any of my animals sleep with me I have 3 cats too.
You will have to see what they have been feeding him and do a slow switch if needed.
Good luck
Steph

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got our rescued basset!

Well, our new basset has been home for about half a day and he is settling in well, so far. Just a few items we could use some advice with: he had diarhhea at the shelter and has had it twice for us. We don't see our vet til Thursday; any suggestions as to what kind of food will nip this in the bud?

Also, Emmett is the first male dog we have had and does not get his castration til late October due to scheduling issues. Is it normal for hm to try to hump everyone in sight??!! My son-in-law had to practically tuck his legs behind his ears to escape Emmett's attentions! Any suggestions?

Also, we are going to try him in the kitchen with a bed tonight since we don't have a crate; keep your fingers crossed.

Happy to be new basset owners (or newly owned by a basset!)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Welcome home Emmett! The loose stools can come from any number of reasons, probably excitement is the cause for his. Jackie took a few days to get into a normal bathroom cycle. I would definitely mention it to the vet when you go if it is still an issue. The best thing I could say now is to get him on a schedule as soon as possible. The sooner he learns his food and walking schedule will always be there, he will calm down. Make sure he has plenty of access to fresh water since loose stools can dehydrate a hound. You might want to try only feeding him his regular dry dog food until the issue clears up to see if that helps.

The humping can be a sign of aggression as well as normal animal behavior. If it doesn't slow down by the time you see the vet, I would mention it to him. I bet Emmett is just figuring out his new home and will adjust with time. Good luck with Emmett :lol:

C

·
0 Posts
For a quick fix, pumpkin, straight out of the can, will solve the diarhea problem right away! I learned this trick from one of my good friends that is a breeder, and it works for me every time! Use about 1 to 2 tablespoons.
Good luck!
Annie

S

·
0 Posts
Thank you for adopting. You will get great advice on this site. Hope your Emmett does well. Welcome to the site. PS we love pictures!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts