Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,
i have a 3.5 yr old female (spayed) in generally excellent health, but this morning when we woke her up, we noticed she had had an accident (a "number two" type) by the back door adjacent to where her sleep area is. The B.M. was rather runny with an additional 3 or 4 half-dollar size puddles of sort of thick dark red / brownish liquid. (Sorry to be so graphic - hope this doesn't gross anyone out too badly!)

Besides this, she has been rubbing her eyes and face alot today, and I just noticed that the skin around her eyes and even around her cheek flaps is quite swollen (especially above her eyes). At first it looked similar to when her mother had been stung by a wasp, but there are obviously no wasps out right now.

I just gave her one bennedril pill to try to reduce the swelling until we can get her in to the vet tomorrow. Is there anything that is popping out about this that sounds like something serious? I don't know if the two things are related, but I'm just wondering if she may have gotten into something that she might be allergic to. Normally, I wouldn't panic, but the swelling is really severe.

Please let me know if anyone can help.

Thanks,

Scott K.

·
Registered
48 Posts
personally i would get the dog to an emergency vet. swelling to the face and bloody stool are nothing to be light about. especially if the benadryl doesn't work. when our dog got stung by a bee and started swelling the vet said to give it benadryl but if the swelling went beyound the eyes to get it into the vet. obviously your dog got into something and if it is serious the longer you wait the more damage it can do.
this is just my opinion i am not an expert, i understand about cost, but under the cercumstances i would rather spend the money to know my baby is going to be ok.
good luck and keep us informed.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Our Sally is allergic to bee stings. She swells up, and almost immediately gets diarrhea. Benadryl is a good start if it is an allergic reaction, but we also take Sally to the vet right away because she has respiratory symptoms as well. If she's having ANY trouble breathing, get her to the vet now. It seems each subsequent sting causes a worse reaction than the last. Fortunately, Sally has learned to avoid bees. For awhile, we carried an empty soda can with pennies in it. Whenever she approached a bee, we shook the can and startled her. Now if she sees one, she backs up and barks. Hope your girl is OK! PS - you might want to post this kind of thing in the Health forum also.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Symptoms such as these shouldn't wait. I hope you got to a vet.....

·
Registered
939 Posts
could it be a snake bite? if it was warm down your way for a few days she may have come across one sunning itself.Benadryl and a shot of Penacillin maybe in order for your hound.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Bazelope,

Just checking in on your hound. I'm sure that was scary, please fill us in.

~Heather

·
Registered
1 Posts
Itd been awhile now but i think my basset has the same issue with bloody stool, reddish brown runny color, and her face is swollen. She seems ok but i wonder if she'll be ok.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts